What's new

Elvis atop the British singles chart 3 weeks ina row (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
It's been such a depressing week.....John Entwistle and Rosemary Clooney passing away. At the same time, Elvis (Presley, that is) is atop the British singles chart for the third week in a row.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Oh no, I'd forgotten just how depressing our charts really are. Full of remixed ancient tracks, covers of ancient tracks, and soap stars.

Still, its reassuring that someone at Nike is a Soderburgh fan.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Junkie XL - whose real name is Tom Holkenborg - had to change his moniker to JXL for this release because Presley's estate was uncomfortable with the drugs reference in his name.
That's priceless. Elvis' estate is uncomfortable with drug references when everyone knows that "Big E" was a big fan.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Which means you should only listen to this song while on the toilet.

"A ding dang do!"

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
What's so depressing about it? Elvis Presley was one of the best damned performers of the last century. :emoji_thumbsup:

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Brian - I didn't particularly mean the Elvis track in particular, though taking an old song that the advertising executive probably only noticed because David Holmes stuck it on his soundtrack for Ocean's 11 and getting a remixer-to-hire to clean it up for release is a fairly cheap way of getting a hit single. Its more the fact that the rest of the chart seems to consist of covers, songs by TV personalities and covers by TV personalities.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
There was no Rock and and Roll before Elvis!

I think it's great!

Brent

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid I'm amongst those who think Elvis's truly great output ceased when he went into the army. The later movies, the ghastly kitsch shows, saccharin choice of songs - euurrrgh. I blame the Colonel for the demise.

The Brit charts are a shambles and have been for years. Having said that, they never were quite as wonderful as we suppose. If you take a look at the Brit charts in the 1960s, you expect them to be crammed with stuff from the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc. The reality was that for a lot of the time they were dominated by pretty middle of the road acts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks