Elvira DVD - Well done Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin D, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

Well, I received Elvira, Mistress of the Dark today from Amazon. I was a bit nervous concerning how my favorite cult classic would fare, but Anchor Bay's done a marvelous job in making this film look as good as its leading lady.
    Now 13 (Rather ironic, right?) years old, Elvira has been given an anamorphic transfer that simply astounds. With wonderful clarity and detail, it looks quite sharp. The opening credits, which are a bloody red color and blurry in previous video transfers, are incredibly crisp. Colors are also well saturated, and bright reds never waver. Overall, I'm very impressed.
    The audio is also remixed in 5.1, with the original 2.0 too. The surround sound is not heavy, but fitting when it kicks in. A plus here, too.
    Extras are light, but informative. There is a comprehensive bio on Cassandra herself, covering her entire life and is not a fluff piece at all. Also, the trailers here are marvelously transferred, with stunning clarity that usually does not occur with films this old.
    While I would have liked more extras, including a commentary with Elvira herself, the current disc does the film justice. Thank you Anchor Bay!

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I just wish I could find the disc at the local B&M stores. I may end up sending off for it. At least it's good to know it's worth the wait.
    Thanks for the mini-review!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Yeah, thanks for the mini-review. Time to hunt myself down a copy.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle