What's new

Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road DVD: any good? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I noticed this new release at Best Buy the other day. It is a retrospective of the recording of GYBR, complete with interviews and unreleased archival footage of the recording sessions at Strawberry Studios.
On the surface it kind of sounds like Pink Floyd's Pompeii video in which you see some footage of Pink Floyd recording Dark Side of the Moon at Abbey Road. Unfortunately the track listing of songs sounds pretty sparse and does not include Funeral for a Friend.
Has anyone bought this disc and can you offer a review?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
From what I've watched of it, it's current interviews on the making of the recording. EJ at the piano. Bernie talking. The guitarist...guitaring.

It's anamorphic widescreen, by the way.

- Steve

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's a typical program for the "Classic Albums" series. Only a few of the album's songs receive attention, but we get some nice information about them. We also hear mixing board alterations of some tunes and various other elements. I don't like the fact it omits so many songs from the album - as do virtually all of the "CA" releases - but it's still a fine release.
Here's a link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/goodbyeyellowbrickroad.shtml

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
The disc is very interesting and well done. Funeral For a Friend is included in the bonus interview section. Worth the $.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Colin’s review is right in the money.
In my opinion Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, as well as Don’t Shoot Me, I’m Only The Piano Player represent a potent creative period for Elton, as well as bringing back fond memories of my mid-late teens. I remember this album playing at almost every party I went to during high school. The gate-fold album cover itself was a treat, sporting Elton in his ‘Dorothy from Kansas’ shoes on the cover and inside the fold, the lyrics were printed in colorful type, each preceded by a caricature from the song itself.
It was quite startling to witness the process that was used to create Bennie And The Jets and to learn that many times they wrote, rehearsed and recorded three songs a day. I only wish that new 5.1 re-mixes of Bennie and Funeral For A Friend had been included as bonus tracks.
This disc is a glimpse into the creative process of a talented group of people, at the height of their game, exposing music’s creative process; a mixture of intentional and accidental ideas melded into a damn fine finished product.
-Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks