What's new

Elton John Exclusive Best Buy 4-DVD Set w/Rare Stuff! (1 Viewer)

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
The MGM exclusive is the latest in a series for Best Buy, which also announced at last week's VSDA tradeshow a deal for a four-disc Elton John DVD set, Dream Ticket. The set will include more than 70 songs performed at different venues by the performer.

Dream Ticket will be released this fall at Best Buy stores and www.BestBuy.com only. It will include rare performances and TV footage from his early days.

The John set follows last year's Best Buy exclusive release of The Rolling Stones' Four Flicks DVD set. The Stones set sold a whopping 100,000 copies in its first day of release.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A record chain in Canada (I think) pulled all their Rolling Stones titles off the shelves in response to Best Buy getting the exclusive on the "Four Flicks" DVD (their reason was "If we're not good enough to carry that, we're not good enough to carry any of their other stuff") and now Tower Records has pulled the new Lenny Kravitz CD because copies sold at Target stores have an exclusive track not available elsewhere.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I'm all over this set like white on rice.

Richard Waller

Second Unit

Really? I didn't know that. Since I haven't bought it yet, I may have to get it at Target now. Thanks for the information!

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Any store that pulls copies to 'prove a point' is only hurting themselves in the sales department. :D

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Dream Ticket-- Four Destinations: Four DVD's is mostly concert footage with more than 70 songs adding up to 10 hours of material or so. The box will include previously unreleased concert footage and interviews.

One of the discs will be a concert in London with the London Symphony Orchestra (1972) while one will be from New York (2004). Another will be from Ephesus, Turkey (2001) and the last one will be an overview/retrospective of Elton John as a performer.

The cover of the set will feature an airplane, to "signify the journey Elton and his fans have taken over time," says Best Buy senior VP of entertainment Gary Arnold.

Best Buy will start selling the second week in November and at least through the 2004 holiday season.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

That may be so, but how else can a smaller chain or mom and pop store express its anger and frustration than by boycotting the product? The sad part is, Best Buy is so huge that the record companies probably don't care if a few smaller chains drop their product.

I think the whole thing stinks. Just another insult added to injury in the ever-growing monopolization of the biggest corporations.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
First, Target does not have an exclusive Lenny track, at least on any copies at my store; we DO have an exclusive CD with b-sides and rarities, like we have done in the past with U2, Justin Timberlake and Bon Jovi. Most of the stuff on these compilations is just pulled from singles or import releases which Tower probably has available anyway. The Elton/Rolling Stones thing is different though. Best Buy has the rights to performances available nowhere else. Does Tower pull all the artists that Virgin promotes on their New Music Samplers? Tower just needs to make some deals that gets buyers excited and into their stores.

Now, back to Elton...has anyone seen anything on the pricepoint for this set? If it's $29.99 I say more power to them!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Great news about this DVD. Bad news for anyone living outside the USA, since to the best of my knowledge, BestBuy don't operate elsewhere in the world. :angry:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I think Future Shop carries these BB exclusives as I've seen the Four Flicks set months back...

I actually better grab that this week, these exclusives sale promotions are all limited stock releases, right?

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

If you read this from my first post you'll notice that this boxed set is being sold online as well.

"Dream Ticket will be released this fall at Best Buy stores and www.BestBuy.com only. It will include rare performances and TV footage from his early days."

So, all you have to worry about is being able to play a Region 1 disc unless Best Buy manufacters discs for other regions as well. I don't know. I know the Stones Four Flicks package was R1.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Update:

Picked up 'Four Flicks' this afternoon at Future Shop for $40 Can. flat. they will definitely carry the Elton John exclusive as well...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Btw, was that Rolling Stones set considered out-of-print or do these Best Buy / Future Shop offers recieve continual stock?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can this Elton John set be preordered now through
BestBuy?

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

Ron, I've seen no mention of it on their web site at all so far. I believe the Stones set showed up as a pre-order a month or so before its release date so I expect the same for this one. I'll keep checking and post an update here.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
For international customers, the Rolling Stones' Four Filcks DVD Set is available here at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...705957-6539361

They started selling this after about a three month exclusive window through Best Buy. Hopefully, they will do the same for the Elton John set.

BTW, you'll notice that the Stones set isn't ready to go into your shopping cart but you can order it at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...679168-9364417 and http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...283318-9940225 where you'll find both the region 1 and a region 2 version for sale.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
If you go to this link you'll see that Best Buy has Dream Ticket in their system but if you click on the link on that page all you'll get is the message below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=54658

"The page you requested can't be accessed right now, or it no longer exists.

Please use your browser's BACK or REFRESH button,
or go to the home page."

At least it's there and we have a release date of Novemeber 9th, 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks