ELP DVD-A: stereo track?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I finally picked up Brain Salad Surgery and am enjoying the surround mix. However, I tried to look for a stereo mix but could not find one. The case advertises it. It's not in the menu nor could I get it checking all the groups. Has anyone found it or knows if it just doesn't have one?

NP: not the stereo high-res version

2. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Mike - I have this disc & there is either no stereo track on there or it's too well hidden for me to find it !
    The surround sound track is great IMO but I too would have liked to hear it in stereo too ...
    Paul [​IMG]

3. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

This is one of the early Warner discs that do not have a stereo track, regardless of what the package says.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, at least I don't feel stupid.

The surround track is cool, though, especially Toccata.

Two pieces I would love to hear on DVD-A would be Pictures At An Exhibition and Tank.

Even if you don't like ELP, you have to admit that they are perfect or DVD-A, which can add even more bombast.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brain Salad Surgery is mismarked. I am disappointed that Warner has not re-released this title with a stereo track. At least correct the package so that people aren't misled!
    Tarkus would be incredible in surround sound. That is the type of music for which I could accept a middle-of-the-band surround mix. That would be great. Just give me a 24/96 or 24/192 stereo track too. [​IMG]

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Not to mention the live album Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, which is in unmarked QS quad in all of its' versions (even the current CD)!

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, there was a typo on my part that I have corrected. I forgot a 'not' there. [​IMG] I certainly would not be disappointed if Warner were to release the DVD-Audio disc with a discrete stereo track.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah, Keith, thanks for the quick correction. Now my rage is subsiding, my skin is going back to normal from green and I have to change the clothes that I ripped when I got angry; because, you don't want to see me when I'm angry...

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I'm glad you are feeling better. I don't like the idea of you being angry. [​IMG]

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aw, Keith, how cute! Now I feel all warm and snuggly.
    Paul, that's a great sig!
    I also got a real kick out of those old crummy video clips that had Plamer playing timpani and Greg Lake fishing. [​IMG]

12. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Bela Fleck's Bluegrass DVD-A, is another that does not have the advertised stereo mix.

But I thought that the multi-channel on this, as well as Brain Salad Surgery, have well done mixes.

Some of the earlier stereo mixes such as George Benson's Breezin', sound cleaner in multi-channel. Stuff like America's Homecoming or Eagles H/C sound great either way.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I forgot to mention in my first post above that Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly is also mismarked. There is no discrete stereo track. [​IMG]

14. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I don't know it these DVD-Audio releases without a dedicated stereo mix are actually mismarked, more than mis-leading.

If I am correct, a stereo down-mix, done by the DVD-Audio player, is part of the DVD-Audio spec - so technically these discs do play in "advanced resolution stereo", albiet a mixdown from the 5.1 mix.

I would agree though that, at minimum, they should indicate on the package that the stereo mix is not a true stereo mix, but a down-mix.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Michael, you're saying if I play the disc and use only the two-channel output, I'd here a down mix, right?

I haven't tried it, and I don't want to. With the exception of viewing television, I refuse to use any kind of matrixing or pro-logic type sound fiddling.

So, yes, technically, the disc can be heard in stereo. It can also be used as a frisbee, but that doesn't mean it should be advertised as such.