What's new

Ellery Queen (Hutton) now on DVD (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Well, there's four years between the TV movie and the series so I don't know how big a difference or loss it'd be if it's not included here, but I'd certainly love to find that it is. Awesome news in any case. Wonder if it's E1 who has Hec Ramsey too.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow 

Well, there's four years between the TV movie and the series so I don't know how big a difference or loss it'd be if it's not included here, but I'd certainly love to find that it is. Awesome news in any case. Wonder if it's E1 who has Hec Ramsey too.
I think you may be thinking of the Peter Lawford TV movie. The Jim Hutton pilot aired just a few months before the series premiere. It would certainly be a loss, as it sets the tone for the entire series, and is great fun in and of itself. But this is great news regardless. It was Timeless who had Hec Ramsey, at least initially. I wrote to them after it was mentioned on this forum and was told they were planning a release later in 2010, along with a complete series set of Checkmate. Maybe their plans changed.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Right that's the one I meant, the 1971 one, I wasn't aware of the Hutton show pilot. It was Timeless too with Ellery Queen, if I remember correctly, that's why I thought maybe there's a chance E1 now have Hec Ramsey also.

Real Name
Håkan Andersson
Could we notify the guys at tvshowsondvd.com about the pilot movie? Maybe they can contact E1 and ask? And maybe, maybe they can inform E1 that there is a pliot movie that they should include in the DVD box? Since the release is more then 4 months away it should be possible to correct this (if they have forgotten it, that is to say).

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I just sent an e-mail to E1 Entertainment about the pilot movie issue. Their e-mail address is: [email protected]. I'm sure that E1 wants to do it right. Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent:

Hello:
I am thrilled that the 1975 Ellery Queen TV series is going to be released on DVD in August. I read the news story at tvshowsondvd.com and it sounds wonderful, but there is one problem. The minutes listed for the box set does not include the pilot movie "Too Many Suspects" that aired on the NBC Mystery Movie in 1975. Will the pilot movie also be a part of the box set? It would be an incomplete set without this pilot because it set the tone for the whole show. Also, please remember to include the thirty second intros before the opening credits where the announcer said, "Who killed so and so? Was it his wife? . . . Match wits with Ellery Queen and see if you can guess whodunit!" These intros are also loved by the shows' fans, like myself. I saw these shows when they first aired and I have not seen them since, but I still remember very clearly every detail. I was 15 years old at the time and I recorded audio cassettes of every episode and listened to them over and over again.

Thanks for listening to a fan and I hope the pilot is included and I can't wait for August to come.

Greg Chenoweth

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Too Many Suspects" I should note is essential not just because it introduces the template for the show but it also has some higher production values as they did some limited location shooting in New York even with the period setting.

I'm not concerned about the "Match Wits" teasers being included because my understanding is they were restored when the show ran on Mystery Channel so the masters should include them.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
The match wits "teasers" were edited off of the A & E version and the home grown set I own does not have it on the pilot film or some of the episodes. This is why I am bringing up my concern in wanting to see the full package deal.

I think "Too Many Suspects" is by far the best whodunit film I have ever seen. The story is good, the acting is superb and the resolution is fantastic and it should be included in this set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My own copy of "Too Many Suspects" does have the "Match Wits" openining. It's from a mid-1980s late night showing on WABC and they were using a 16mm print in those days. I would assume though that Universal did a tape transfer in the early 90s that would look better.

MadmanTV

Grip
Real Name
Grant
Madman Entertainment has been preparing a release of Ellery Queen for our end of the world for close to 2 years. It has been a real challenge in locating materials which has been the major frustration and cause of delay - it's definitely been a case for Ellery Queen to piece together....

But, we are now all set and our release will be happening in September. It will include Too Many Suspects - how could it not?, it's the pilot to the series!! The opening teasers for the episodes will all be included too.

Official Press Release will be posted in about a month.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Jack P

I hope so too because it's also one of my top two unreleased altogether titles!
Well that's not cool, how can you say that without mentioning the other show.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well that's good news for Australia, but that of course does nothing to lessen the uneasiness about the info concerning the R1 release by E1.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Where is your part of the world? Just curious.

Originally Posted by MadmanTV

Madman Entertainment has been preparing a release of Ellery Queen for our end of the world for close to 2 years. It has been a real challenge in locating materials which has been the major frustration and cause of delay - it's definitely been a case for Ellery Queen to piece together....

But, we are now all set and our release will be happening in September. It will include Too Many Suspects - how could it not?, it's the pilot to the series!! The opening teasers for the episodes will all be included too.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I'm concerned about what's on a R1 release, that should answer the question of what my part of the world is. I don't own a region free player (and please don't make me have to explain the reason why again, I've only done it a million times already), nor do I want to have to invest in one. I would like to see the release for my part of the world get it right.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Sounds like another original release ala McCloud, at least fans have the chance for the complete thing should they wish and R1 omits the pilot, on the other hand E1's release apparently features subtitles which Madman releases unfortunately do not.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I have tried not to build up my hopes too much since this is one of my all-time holy grails, but this post really makes me excited.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

My question was directed to MadmanTV about what part of the world he is from.
Sorry about that. Usually helps to use the quote thing to prevent that kind of confusion.

Hopefully we'll hear from E1 this week on the status of the pilot movie for their release.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jack P

Sorry about that. Usually helps to use the quote thing to prevent that kind of confusion.

Hopefully we'll hear from E1 this week on the status of the pilot movie for their release.
I think it is amazing how we are all passionate about this one TV show. It is amazing. This is the one chance for E1 to put it out and to get it right and we all want it to happen correctly so bad.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Exactly, and because there is only one season that means there can't be a second chance to include the pilot in a later set as was done with "Banacek" which had its pilot movie placed in the S2 set (as did "Rockford Files").

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not for anything but all of you who are interested in the pilot might want to consider taking a more pro-active attitude and contact the company now while there might still be a chance of them getting the pilot. From my past experience dealing with many of these companies, you can never over-estimate their lack of knowledge. They may not even know there is a pilot movie that's separate from the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks