What's new

Ellen Finally Comes Out To... DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I'm really exzcited this is coming I lovbed this show and it's great it's finally here. I haven't seen it since it was on but it will be so cool to own this show. I thought that Buena Vista owned this though like Boy Meets World, Home Improvement and Golden Girls?. Here's the full details from tvshowsondvd.com

Ellen - The Complete 1st Season, is coming to DVD in August, according to the folks at A&E. No specific date has been publicly stated, and there are no details other than the title.

If done properly, then "The Complete 1st Season" of Ellen would consist of the 11 episodes shown under the series name These Friends of Mine. In that season, the show was more of an ensemble group, with the cast consisting of DeGeneres, Ayre Gross, Holly Folger, and Maggie Wheeler. Future regulars Clea Lewis and David Anthony Higgins would be seen in recurring roles, but with limited exposure. And it wasn't until the 2nd Season, when the show was renamed Ellen, that Joely Fisher (incidentally, she's Carrie Fisher's half-sister) became part of the cast.

And, just to remind readers, Ellen (neither the show, the character, nor the actress) had "come out" during this time. That didn't happen, officially (either in the show or in real life), until "The Puppy Episode" near the end of the 4th season. There were hints leading up to it, and it was a major source of speculation in the media that year (1996). But at the time the show debuted as a mid-season replacement in March 1994, it was just a sitcom that was like many others (although it did better in the ratings than many others).

What will the DVD make-up of this sitcom be? We don't know yet, but stay tuned...we'll be back in the near future and fill you in! Our thanks to readers "Jordan" and "Westley" for making sure we knew about this.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I loved this show when it first aired, up to maybe the last season. I thought the early seasons were very funny, and something I'd definitely like to own.
The last season just became to be too much about her being a Lesbian, and I just thought the writting was less funny than in earlier seasons. I'd still buy the last season though as compared to a lot its still pretty good, but I thought they lost a lot of what made the show so awesome to begin with.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

Buena Vista owns it; they just don't have a 'no sub-licensing' policy like some of the other studios.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I will be getting this one... I loved this show when it was first on... and this is one show you can't find airing on tv at all anymore... so it will definitely be a must have for me! :)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Same here. I loved this show from the very first episode I saw ("Oh, for God's sake, just take the pict..."*flash*).
I only started watching it because they aired it in German AND English, so I figured I might as well check it out. Boy, am I glad I did. I never saw the final season because they never showed it over here (and even if they did it's very likely it'd be German only now which for me is they same as them not showing it at all).
A friend of mine and myself still have a lot of running gags based on the show (Enthusiasm! Enthusiasm! Loaded to here with enthusiasm!), and I'm very excited that A&E are releasing it.

Chris

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure if the rumoured gay cable network gets off the ground, that will be one of their "big" shows. Maybe that's why it's not in syndication right now.

Personally, I found the show okay, but like most post-1980s TV, it's nothing I'd run out and buy. I'm just not all that nostalgic about it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'll definitely pick up Season 1, as I really liked both Arye Gross & Holly Fulger and their characters. I became less enamored with the show as it progressed, because they dumped the actors I liked (Fulger, then Gross), and the replacements (Joely Fisher, Jeremy Piven) were less appealing to me. The worst move they made was promoting the incredibly annoying Audrey to regular status.

So this will probably be a one or two season buy for me at most.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks