What's new

Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood Legacy Collections from WB (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
On October 18, 2016, WB is releasing three separate "Legacy Collections": one for Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

Each set contains 20 discs, but I can't find any details on which films will be included or any packaging yet.

in Elizabeth's case, I don't believe that WHV has released more than 14 or 15 of her films on pressed disc, so I'm wondering if some titles are from the Warner Archive Collection?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
On October 18, 2016, WB is releasing three separate "Legacy Collections": one for Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

Each set contains 20 discs, but I can't find any details on which films will be included or any packaging yet.

in Elizabeth's case, I don't believe that WHV has released more than 14 or 15 of her films on pressed disc, so I'm wondering if some titles are from the Warner Archive Collection?

Just so long as one of them is Beau Brummel . . .

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Just so long as one of them is Beau Brummel . . .

I actually asked WAC about that film just last week and this was their response:

This film has serious film element issues which have precluded our ability to remastering. Major restoration is required in order to provide a proper presentation. Thanks.

Not exactly encouraging, but hopefully we'll see it one day and perhaps on Blu-ray if it's a film they have to go to so much trouble to restore. It's a film I really enjoy.

7ead9f2af88222000dce4358b34c0234.jpg

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Are they blurays or merely dvds? Not interested if they are dvds.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
0883929546367_p1_v2_s1200x630.jpg

The films in the Elizabeth Taylor boxed set has been unveiled:

Lassie Come Home, National Velvet, Courage of Lassie, Cynthia*, A Date with Judy, Conspirator*, Little Women, Father of the Bride, Ivanhoe, Love Is Better Than Ever*, The Girl Who Has Everything*, The Last Time I Saw Paris*, Rhapsody*, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, BUtterfield 8, The V.I.P.s, The Sandpiper, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Comedians, Reflections in a Golden Eye.

The titles with the asterisk have, up until now, only been available through the Warner Archive Collection. Most of those titles are in need of a new scan but that seems too much to hope for.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
0883929546367_p1_v2_s1200x630.jpg

The films in the Elizabeth Taylor boxed set has been unveiled:

Lassie Come Home, National Velvet, Courage of Lassie, Cynthia*, A Date with Judy, Conspirator*, Little Women, Father of the Bride, Ivanhoe, Love Is Better Than Ever*, The Girl Who Has Everything*, The Last Time I Saw Paris*, Rhapsody*, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, BUtterfield 8, The V.I.P.s, The Sandpiper, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Comedians, Reflections in a Golden Eye.

The titles with the asterisk have, up until now, only been available through the Warner Archive Collection. Most of those titles are in need of a new scan but that seems too much to hope for.

Rhapsody needs more than a new scan. I have the Warner Archive disc and it makes clear the colors and sound need some work. This less than ideal disc indicates that Rhapsody when first new must have been a lush, opulent film. Elizabeth Taylor is especially gorgeous!

I haven't found this box-set - or the other two - on any website. Amazon do not have even a place holder. I wonder what the cost will be. I have most of the films already, and two of them on Blu-ray, so the price will be a major factor whether I buy or don't.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'll wait to see if there are improved transfers on some of these. Most of the Warner Archive inclusions were from the WAC's early years when they didn't do new remasters and used some fairly old transfers. Also hoping these have newer transfers for this set (Cynthia and Rhapsody come to mind). The Last Time I Saw Paris is fine though.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Warner Bros is also releasing a new 6 film Bogart and Bacall set with the four films they made together plus the Maltese Falcon and Designing Woman on 9/13. Not sure the point of the release as the 4 films they made together are one of TCM film classics sets which have sold as low as $7 or $8. Nice picture for the cover. The 20 film sets seem like the 20 film Best of Warner Bros sets just rearrange by star. Hopefully no flippers. Looks like we are seeing Costco's holiday offerings.

3423942.jpg

0883929546329_p1_v2_s192x300.jpg
0883929546329_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg

Last edited:

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Hi,

Did anyone pick up the Elizabeth Taylor set? Are they new and better transfers? Are there extras (hopefully commentaries) on them?

Amazon.ca is having a one day sale on this set today, for only $40, which is a good deal for 20 films, but just curious about the transfers and hoping for good extras.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hi Steve, I picked up the Elizabeth Taylor. All discs are the same. The only upside is that the discs previously released by the Warner Archive are now pressed. I was hoping for upgrades of Cynthia, Conspirator, Love Is Better Than Ever, The Girl Who Had Everything, Rhapsody (and National Velvet, which I'm hoping will see a Blu-ray release soon), but it was unrealistic to expect that... as you say, it's still great value at an unbeatable price point.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Hi Andrew and thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear the transfers weren't upgraded, but all are still decent and watchable, I hope?

Also, you didn't mention if there were any extras on any of the films (I can't find any info on this set, beyond the basics, online)? I was hoping at least a couple of them had commentaries.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My pleasure! All are definitely watchable, but Cynthia, Conspirator, Love Is Better Than Ever, The Girl Who Had Everything, Rhapsody, and National Velvet are all old transfers--the rest are more recent.

Off the top of my head I know that Cat has a featurette and a commentary, Virginia Woolf has two different commentaries (this set doesn't include the second disc from the great 2-disc set which has a few featurettes, but they're on the Blu-ray release), Reflections has a vintage featurette, Father of the Bride has two vintage newsreels (one of Elizabeth's wedding to Nicky Hilton), The Sandpiper has two vintage featurettes, and The Comedians also has a vintage featurette. The rest are pretty bare bones aside from trailers.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Andrew! Though I am disappointed that each film doesn't have a commentary (I'm just mad about commentaries) I just can't pass up this good a deal.

Elizabeth Taylor is one of those icons that I haven't watched many (or any) of their films, for Ms. Taylor the only one being CLEOPATRA (which I really enjoyed), so for $2 a film, I can't go wrong it getting the chance to check out many of her other major films.

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback.

PS - I just noticed you are from Ontario, too. I'm in the 705, how about yourself?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
You have some great films in store for you--this set will be the perfect introduction to some of her best work! (I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed Cleopatra--that's my favourite of her films.) Be sure to share your impressions with us when you have a chance to view some of them.

Very cool that you're from Ontario, too! I'm 519. :)

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Andrew, I'm definitely looking forward to the set's arrival and will gladly share my thoughts upon viewing. I'm new to the HTF message boards, should I post in this thread or do most films have their own discussion threads.

519, nice.

(Go Jays!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks