What's new

Elizabeth Smart found.....Alive and well ! (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
They played an audio clip on the World News Tonight of the Smart's answering machine message. Basically it's instructions for book publishers and television and film producers to "submit proposals in writing."
Does this not bother anyone else!? Talk about getting your priorities screwed up!:angry:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't bother me. They probably have loads of people calling about that stuff, and would prefer to get it all in writing instead, otherwise they just can't deal with it. What's wrong with that?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It doesn't bother me. They probably have loads of people calling about that stuff, and would prefer to get it all in writing instead, otherwise they just can't deal with it. What's wrong with that?
Change your number! Get a new cell phone and only give out the number to the immediate family!

This is the LAST thing any parent should be thinking about at this time. Hmmm... let's have her re-live the whole thing during prime time.
Anyone who would even attempt to make $$ off of a tragic family event should get some serious help!!

Now that's just Sick!:thumbsdown:

Her father makes a great spokesperson/agent but he sure is one terrible Dad. IMHO

I would like to hear from some parents. Would you spend the first day of your daughters return doing press conferences and TV shows all day? Would you be fielding offers on movie & book deals less than a week after her return? What is this world coming to. :angry:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

A movie, book or whatever is gonna happen whether they want it or not. Why not give them a cut of the profit?

mark alan

Supporting Actor
A person commits rape of a child when the person has sexual intercourse with a child who is under the age of 14.
They marry young in Utah.

If she agreed to a sexual relationship, there was no law broken. They may be able to get him for kidnapping, but without her testimony, it will be tough.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
A movie, book or whatever is gonna happen whether they want it or not. Why not give them a cut of the profit?
:rolleyes

Please! Whatever helps you $leep at night.

I would not want my name attached to any garbage like that. Hmmm... maybe they'll show what really happened to her.., do you think they had sex? Maybe that will increase the size of the paycheck.... the more dirty little details the more cash good old Dad will make. Come on Elizabeth, just tell the Director how you felt.

Great idea!:thumbsdown:

What is this world coming to.:angry:

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I just want to chime in here and say that I am in agreement with Micheal. There are too many oddities in this case for it to be just another kidnapping. Furthermore, the answering machine message is wrong. When normal people go through things like this, they do everything they can to get away from the press. They change their phone numbers and avoid being in the public eye. These people are thriving on the attention. There are a lot of things wrong with that.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I'm in agreement with Michael on his last couple of posts.

Except I'm not willing to write him off as a bad dad yet. If we can suffer Michael Jackson, then Ed Smart deserves a little slack.

That said, I would have thanked all the volunteers, and the police then put on 30 day moritorium, cooling down period, etc. and just concentrate on getting back to normal.

My guess is that Elizabeth will be ok for a few years, but then begin to have a negative reacion to her dad. May or may not be warranted, but he leaves the impression that he is very self serving.

And there will be at least two movies. One that Ed is closely connected with and has a lot of input - and that will be a real tear jerker.

The second will be unauthorized, will face lawsuits by the Smarts and will raise a lot of dirty issues, some warranted, some not, and will be the sensational of the two.

I hope that Elizabeth is strong, because the toughest part of her ordeal may not be the last nine months, but what lies ahead in the next few years.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Except I'm not willing to write him off as a bad dad yet. If we can suffer Michael Jackson, then Ed Smart deserves a little slack.
A bad father is a bad father, it shouldn't matter who he's compared to. The way he has conducted himself is just plain wrong. IMHO

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's a bit weird, but there are many weird things about the human psyche. That doesn't mean there's some kind of cover-up or conspiracy.

But what's really disturbing is Micheal's fixation on finding some kind of dirt. Have you got some kind of agenda there Micheal? Why such an interest?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
But what's really disturbing is Micheal's fixation on finding some kind of dirt. Have you got some kind of agenda there Micheal? Why such an interest?
You got me Bill, I want them to sign a book deal with me.
:rolleyes

I guess that I could waste my time arguing about a "digital" cat being abused in a commercial. If you want to sling insults go somewhere else. If you want to talk about the topic, feel free.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I'm in the anti-Ed Smart camp. Here's a guy that hires unsavory characters to do work around his well-to-do house... and he has 2 young daughters !!!

Makes Michael Jackson's baby-dangling feat look like Mr Rogers !

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I am also in the anti-Ed camp.

I do not like to have licensed, bonded and insured business people come to my house for repairs. I will be damned if I would invite a homeless guy to my house.

DwightK

Second Unit
You last 2 "anti-ed"ers just can not comprehend how families, no, communities, like the Smarts see the world in which we live.

I don't think I can comment further without invoking the wrath of forum laws. Suffice to say I was born and raised in teh east, lived all over the US, been all over the world, and choose to live here. And I am not LDS.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
The only thing that really irks me about this case is the publicity it received. I mean, how many kidnappings are there in a year really? What was special about this one that merrited such broad national attention over all the other ones? (It was top stories in Canada too) I think I know the answers to this question, but I'm afraid to say them!

Walt N

Second Unit

There are many reasons why this case was as high profile as it was, but I don't think you can overlook the fact that her father was very media savvy and he pushed her name and the case out there relentlessly. She had a very good agent.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that really irks me about this case is the publicity it received. I mean, how many kidnappings are there in a year really? What was special about this one that merrited such broad national attention over all the other ones? (It was top stories in Canada too) I think I know the answers to this question, but I'm afraid to say them!
Oh, then it's something OTHER than the fact that publicity helps find lost/missing/kidnapped kids? Pray tell, what would that be?

Every missing kid deserves publicity. Just because one gets more than the other doesn't mean it should all go away. I know, some people live in la la land, where nothing bad ever happens, and if it does, they don't want to hear about it, but in the real world, publicity helps. Lots of it, and loud.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It is possible that she was brainwashed..., 9 months is a long time. BTW, she is clearly the victim here and I'm not trying to say otherwise. But some things just don't add up, I'm sure that we'll know more soon
I'm not blaming her for what happened at all. There is just something strange going on with this entire case and her father has done nothing but add fuel to the fire. Photo-ops and movie deals would be the last thing on a good parents mind. (That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.)

Walt N

Second Unit

(Vickie, I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or calling me disgusting :), however....)

I agree on both counts. Much of what's been written about this case blows my mind. Despite good intentions, certainly the hiring dubious day laborers and exposing them to the children was a bad judgement call and one that I doubt the Smart family will repeat, but as for the rest, what does anyone here really know? Armchair quarterbacking is much easier than actually being in the game, but what I'm seeing here is a lot of paranoid consipiracy being thrown around with little regard for common sense and the principle of simplicity. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. (More often than not.)

Ed Smart used the media and law enforcement to get his daughter back, so now in his exhileration he wants to get their story out again using the national media. Great. It's a hot story so someone is going to tell it, why not him? By his telling there's a better chance of accuracy and most importantly, describing the steps he took with the police and media may be of help to others who, heaven forbid, find themselves in similar circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks