What's new

"Elizabeth" DVD from Asia: plays on R1 players but "fullframe" - LEGIT? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this advertised on eBay. Now, I'm relatively new to all of this. I have heard of illegal "bootleg" DVDs coming out of Asia. Is this "Elizabeth" DVD an example of this? Or is it possible that it is a legitimate DVD?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Not everything that comes from Asia is a bootleg

Not everything with a Region 0 coding is a bootleg either

There is no way to be sure without the name of the distributor, source, or a cover scan etc, and even then I bet most of us could not really know for sure.

Caveat emptor!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Some international distributors are given an open-matte/pan & scan transfer and/or do not region code a disc.

Mei Ah distributes Rules of Engagement, Memento, & Heartbreakers in Hong Kong and the tranfers are letterbox widescreen with no region coding. Rules of Engagement also has a dts soundtrack but its a DVD-10.

IVL distributes Jeepers Creepers in Hong Kong and its transfer is pan & scan. Plus, its a two DVD-5 set thanks to the inclusion of dts English audio.

Universe Video & Laser Company Limited also have letterbox widescreen transfers for some films like The Gift, Traffic, and Rush Hour. Plus Universe Video & Laser Company was given a full-frame transfer for One Night At McCools.

It just depends on what the originating studio allows a distributor to do with a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gto5830