"Elizabeth" DVD from Asia: plays on R1 players but "fullframe" - LEGIT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Cliff, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

I saw this advertised on eBay. Now, I'm relatively new to all of this. I have heard of illegal "bootleg" DVDs coming out of Asia. Is this "Elizabeth" DVD an example of this? Or is it possible that it is a legitimate DVD?

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Not everything that comes from Asia is a bootleg

Not everything with a Region 0 coding is a bootleg either

There is no way to be sure without the name of the distributor, source, or a cover scan etc, and even then I bet most of us could not really know for sure.

Caveat emptor!

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Some international distributors are given an open-matte/pan & scan transfer and/or do not region code a disc.

Mei Ah distributes Rules of Engagement, Memento, & Heartbreakers in Hong Kong and the tranfers are letterbox widescreen with no region coding. Rules of Engagement also has a dts soundtrack but its a DVD-10.

IVL distributes Jeepers Creepers in Hong Kong and its transfer is pan & scan. Plus, its a two DVD-5 set thanks to the inclusion of dts English audio.

Universe Video & Laser Company Limited also have letterbox widescreen transfers for some films like The Gift, Traffic, and Rush Hour. Plus Universe Video & Laser Company was given a full-frame transfer for One Night At McCools.

It just depends on what the originating studio allows a distributor to do with a release.