What's new

Elite's Drive-In Discs .... What Do You Think? (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
These are two of my favorite discs in our collection! They're a load of fun to watch. The movies are awful, but the overall experience is top-notch! If you have kids (especially young boys), these need to belong in your collection. The Distort-O sound is hilarious, and some of the added catcalls are amusing. The added clips are great, but I was hoping for another lobby feature on the second disc. "Let's All Go to the Lobby" is a classic, but I wanted something different. I believe Elite's original plan was to release 15 volumes, but I've not heard anything since before vol. 2 came out. You won't get a great movie, but you'll get a great night of family fun with these!
:star: :star: :star: :star:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the second volume, but the first volume's film transfers were pretty bad, like watching a mediocre VHS tape. I know that these aren't the greatest films in the world but they could have tried to do a better transfer job for the price they are asking. I ended up selling my copy on e-bay.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind the quasi-Madacy video quality, they're OK. But for the price, they should have done better. Between this and the Masterworks of German Horror, Elite has convinced me never to buy one of their discs again.

Real Name
Josh Crackle
I have both and they're fantastic. The transfers aren't top notch, but they're "drive in" discs so how can you exepct high video quality? The frumpy transfers are what gives them their charm. Personally I absolutely love them and you will too if you have a memory of drive-ins or just an affection for those days. I was a young kid in the 70's and got to go a number of times, thank God because they're more or less extinct now. These DVD's allow you to recapture that great American past time (or discover it, if you're much younger). These parrticular selections are from the 50's, which is great, but I do hope the series is successful enough for Elite that they end up doing 60's and 70's versions. The ONLY gripe I have for them concerns Volume II. When you have the "distorto" sound on (which means you get the drive-in noise effects in the rear speakers), there are voice overs of people who interject their little banter at what's happening on the screen. I guess it's supposed to be simulating people being with you in the car. They did this in Vol. I too and it was much better utilized, but in Volume II I think they really get carried away with it and I found myself becomming quite aggravated - much like you'd be if people were constanlty talking behind you in a theater. So, from time to time I shut that function off so I'd just hear the sound from the movie.

But these are true treasures and one great example of the kinds of things we can enjoy on the DVD format. Kudos to Elite for doing something as special as this.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks