Elite VSX-49TX who has it or has heard it? How is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rolando, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Title pretty much says it all. Does it rock? Did it fall flat? Before I heard this was out I was considering the Integra 9.1 or Onkyo 989.

How does it compare to these or other amps? Of course I mean compare to DTS ES Discrete amp/receiver/decoder.

2. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I've had one for about a week. Unfortunately I haven't had time to put it through a thorough workout. I replaced my VSX-39TX with it.

It's really easy to setup with the outboard microphone. It does the setup for your speakers for you. You can tweak it if you're not 100% happy with it.

I am more extremely pleased with the sound on the 49TX. It has better sound the 39TX and has tons more options.

One thing I really like about it is when you're playing a DVD-audio disc it has multi-channel analog in adjust. You can actually increase the bass on analog in. I wasn't extremely happy with DVD-audio on the 39TX because I wasn't getting the bass out of DVD-audio that I was used to with CDs. Now with the 49TX the "Metallica - Black Album" really rocks the house. Also it's designed so there isn't a channel that overrides another channel. Every channel is balanced so as not to detract from the sound.

I was also able to get more bass out of "Star Wars - Phantom Menace" DVD than the 39TX could. I have front mains with 300W subs in each of them so I don't run a seperate sub. The new receiver really helped out with it. It has several different crossover points to choose from.

The build quality is excellent. It's extremely heavy. I think the box weigned in at 74 pounds. Out of box is around 65 pounds and it's big. It's beautifully designed also with the black urishi finish & beveled glass.

It has Dolby Surround EX, DTS Discrete ES, Dolby Prologic II, DTS 96/24 (the last report that I heard on DTS 96/24 is that the new discs should be coming out around the end of the year - it will be interesting to hear how they sound). 160W x 7.

I would definitely recommend this receiver!

3. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Thanks for the info, Stan. I'll probably save a few bucks and purchase the 47TX instead.
    One clarification: the amp is rated at 7 x 160W at 6 ohms. At 8 ohms, it's 7 x 130W.
    By the way, can you determine whether the 49TX lets you control the DPL2 parameters of Panorama, Dimension, and Center Width? I've asked this on another forum, and the answer was apparently "no".

4. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

This is Pioneer's first real attempt to get into the elite high end receiver market. I'm sure it sounds great, but I don't have enough confidence in Pioneer to be considered a standout or arguable front runner in this segment. The Marantz SF14ex never seemed to get much buzz or press compared to some of its slightly lower priced competitors. I sincerely hope Pioneer pushes the boundaries of flagship receiver performance and, given its price, prove to be a good value compared to the similarly priced pre/pros.

Elbert

5. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I picked mine up at soundpros.com for $2600. Scott & Gary are great to work with at Soundpros. Considering the retail price is $4200 I think that's a steal for everything that it does. How it helped me on DVD audio was worth it by itself but the improvement in sound on movie soundtracks & music made it an easy & smart choice. It's a great receiver!

I can't think of one bad thing to say about it. It's been all positive!