What's new

Elite/Something Weird "Drive-in Discs Vol. 3" Release Date? (1 Viewer)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
A while back, I pre-ordered Elite Entertainment/Something Weird Video's "Drive-in Discs #3: I Bury the Living/The Hand", which at the time had a release date of 8/19. Since then, I received an e-mail from DVD Empire that the release date had been changed to 'TBA', and the disc no longer appears on Elite Entertainment's web site. What's more, DVD Planet lists it with a release date of 8/19 and as "Coming Soon"! The Monsters at Play web site has a review of the disc HERE, so I know that at least some screeners have gone out.

Does anyone have information on when this disc is being released? It's not that my world will come to an end if I don't see these films tomorrow, but I do enjoy this Drive-In Discs series, and I'd just appreciate a little clarity on the status.

Much appreciated,

Bob P.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
HERE is a thread on it at DVD Maniacs. Apparently a few people have found the box set at Borders and the single disc at Towers. Elite's JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER is another one that people are having a hard time getting.

Unless you're a fan of the series, MGM put out a wonderful print of I BURY THE LIVING, which is better than the Madacy double feature and the one on one of the Brentwood sets. I've heard the Elite version is the same as other PD copies. THE HAND will be released by Alpha in November as well. Alpha also has I BURY out but I'm not sure of the quality.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got vol 3 yesterday at Tower- there are some good trailers (including one about a petition in the theatre lobby against cable and pay TV- made me applaud at the end, too bad it apparently didn't work) but the movies themselves suck (in my opinion of course). "The Hand" has had something done to the credits too, they're all presented as video still-frames rather than from the regular film print. With the price cut in half you can't go wrong if you want drive-in trailers though.
Something Weird has nothing to do with this disc BTW; I've avoided their discs ever since I got stuck with one that had the letters SWV stamped on the screen during all the drive-in trailers (the one with Monster of Camp Sunshine; the movies themselves look great on this however.) I've got 2 other Something Weird drive-in discs that don't have any onscreen junk during the trailers though (Just For The Hell Of It/Blast-off Girls and Defilers/Scum of the Earth, also all decent movies)- does anyone have a list of which of their discs have the onscreen letters and which ones don't? If there are any others that don't have them I'll buy those.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The majority of Something Weird discs have the SWV logo on the extras. I own DEATH CURSE OF TARTU/STING OF DEATH and I believe the extras have the logo on them. I also think the trailers for AXE had them. I also own THE VIOLENT YEARS/GIRL GANG but can't recall any logos.

I bought the first two Elite "Drive-In" discs but thought the prints were horrid (especially for $25) so I quickly sold them and went the cheaper route with Alpha and various other smaller companies. The majority of their transfers are better than this line from Elite, IMO.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
What's more, DVD Planet lists it with a release date of 8/19 and as "Coming Soon"!
They did the same for Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter for the longest time, which, as Michael Elliot noted, suffered from similarly poor distribution. Apparently a handful of retailers, including Borders, had copies on/around release date, but literally not a single online retailer, despite Elite's assurances, had any on-hand until recently.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Michael/Jesse/Adam,

Thanks very much for the info! At least I have some idea what's going on. I'll keep my eyes open for the disc, but also consider going the MGM/Alpha route for the movies.

Gracias,

Bob

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
VideoKart is a new company just starting up and I've heard they might have the rights to THE HAND as well. They are a legit company that is trying to "save" cult films from PD.

I talked to their president this afternoon and they are currently trying to set up deals with retailers to carry their titles.

They are releasing a couple Andy Milligan titles this October. BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS/THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE! along with MONSTROSITY/GRAVE ROBBERS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks