What's new

Elite PRO-610HD? (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
My 8 year old 35" Mits tube set is dying and I have been looking for a replacement. I decided an HD-ready set is the way to go and because I love DVDs, the new set has to be 16:9 and at least 50". Due to installation issues, FPTV is out of the question.
So I have been looking around at various RPTV's lately and have very impressed by the Pioneer Elite. The Elite is more expensive than Toshiba, Mitsubishi, et al, but it also has notably better picture quality from the same sources in side-by-side comparisions. This is particularly evident when viewing NTSC sources, the Elites just blow away the others on NTSC. Since our viewing is still 75% cable and some occasional VHS tapes, this is very important. The other 25% (and rising) is DVDs and again, the Elites have better PQ, although the difference is not as great. Another advantage to the Elites is that the line doubler and 3:2 pulldown circuitry are so good that IMO, a progressive scan DVD player isn't necessary. Yes, a very good PS player will improve the PQ, but it would have to be a very good PS player. On the Mits and Tosh sets a PS DVD player is almost a necessity. So an argument could be made that the Elite would save the cost of a high quality progressive scan DVD player. Of course, I will eventually get one anyway, but it does sound like a good argument to make to the SO, doesn't it?
wink.gif

The question is (didn't think I'd ever get there, did you? :)), are there any issues or problems associated with Elites that I need to be aware of? I know about the "lock in full mode" issue with progressive sources and some minor red push, are there any others? Prices on the 2001 models are dropping fast, at what price does a PRO-610HD become too good a deal to pass up? $5000, $4000?. Is there any compelling reason to wait for the 2002 model (PRO-620HD)?
Any comments are welcome.
Regards,
------------------
Dan

JasonZ

Agent
hi,
i sell pioneer elite at the shop i work at and the rep was in the other day. the changes in the new sets will be minimal, improved lenses,etc. but will more importantly deal with the lock in full mode problem. the pricing has not been announced but i would imagine that they will drop to remain competitive.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Hello Jason,
Did the rep happen to say when the 2002 Elite models will be available?
Thanks,
------------------
Dan

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...are there any issues or problems associated with Elites that I need to be aware of?
Given the quality of the current model's line doubler the lock-in-full issue isn't too much of a concern. Less so if you choose a progressive player with aspect ratio control for just this application. Red push is an issue with most sets, and from what I've heard the Elites are among the most accurate in this regard. Very neutral color palate.
The only other design concern I have read about is a circuit that causes the color temperature to spike up in the high IREs, even after calibration. It tracks flat everywhere else, however, and most importantly in the low range where our eyes are most sensitive.
On the flip side the Elites are generally regarded as the highest resolution RPTVs available when compared to others equipped with 7" CRTs. The Perfect Vision lists them as their top pick.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

JasonZ

Agent
i think he said around august but i am not positive. the next time he comes through i will follow up.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Forgive me, but the most recent edition of The Perfect Vision has an HDTV Buyer's Guide in it, and the Elites are not rated very highly. In fact, Toshiba (with calibration) is rated better.
Really, I'll have to take a look at that. Who wrote it? For a magazine that once said the Elites were the standard in RPTVs for all others to be compared against (in fact, this was the jist of Gary Merson's 710 review), it's interesting that they've changed course.
I looked at the Tosh, along with all others in the 53-58" range. I bought the Elite. It was head and shoulders above the rest in terms of all-around performance. I think the Philips MAY have had a slight advantage in HDTV resolution (to my eye- it could have been convergence), but in all other areas (NTSC, Stretch modes, Doubler performance, Color, etc.), the Elite was a clear winner.
The cost was a factor, but having to live for a long time with something less was a bigger factor. I won't be upgrading for at least 5 years (and possibly long after that- new babies are expensive!), so I wanted something that satisfied. The Elite does, in spades.
I haven't heard about any real compelling reasons to wait on the 2002s, but if they're arriving soon, why not wait?
I paid $4700 for my 510HD, so anything near $5000 for a 610HD would be a good deal, IMO.
Todd
P.S. The lock-in-full issue is way overblown, particularly since you know you want the new Panasonic RP-91 to go with it. I know I do.
wink.gif

W

Will

I read on another thread that year 2002 Pioneer non-Elite
RPTVs will have line doublers that are as good as what's
on current Pioneer Elites.
Pioneer non-Elites are much less expensive than Elites.
If you can wait for the new models to appear, I'd wait.
It's only a few months and prices may drop on current
models even more when the new models arrive.

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,
You said.
The only other design concern I have read about is a circuit that causes the color temperature to spike up in the high IREs, even after calibration. It tracks flat everywhere else, however, and most importantly in the low range where our eyes are most sensitive.
I've done the Cal on my Elite and Don't have this problem at all. I have very good tracking all the way out to 100 IRE. D6500K +/-150. This took a good amount of work but the tracking is set for all input types (Composite, component 15K, Component 31K/33K, RGBHV 31K/33K.
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the same set. I didn't flinch at the price when I looked at the benefits for all around performance on any input with any source.
Good luck with your decision Dan.
Dre

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded, your comments and info are appreciated.
------------------
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks