Elite PRO-610HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Driscoll, Jun 28, 2001.

  1. Dan Driscoll

    Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2000
    Messages:
    937
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    My 8 year old 35" Mits tube set is dying and I have been looking for a replacement. I decided an HD-ready set is the way to go and because I love DVDs, the new set has to be 16:9 and at least 50". Due to installation issues, FPTV is out of the question.
    So I have been looking around at various RPTV's lately and have very impressed by the Pioneer Elite. The Elite is more expensive than Toshiba, Mitsubishi, et al, but it also has notably better picture quality from the same sources in side-by-side comparisions. This is particularly evident when viewing NTSC sources, the Elites just blow away the others on NTSC. Since our viewing is still 75% cable and some occasional VHS tapes, this is very important. The other 25% (and rising) is DVDs and again, the Elites have better PQ, although the difference is not as great. Another advantage to the Elites is that the line doubler and 3:2 pulldown circuitry are so good that IMO, a progressive scan DVD player isn't necessary. Yes, a very good PS player will improve the PQ, but it would have to be a very good PS player. On the Mits and Tosh sets a PS DVD player is almost a necessity. So an argument could be made that the Elite would save the cost of a high quality progressive scan DVD player. Of course, I will eventually get one anyway, but it does sound like a good argument to make to the SO, doesn't it? [​IMG]
    The question is (didn't think I'd ever get there, did you? [​IMG]), are there any issues or problems associated with Elites that I need to be aware of? I know about the "lock in full mode" issue with progressive sources and some minor red push, are there any others? Prices on the 2001 models are dropping fast, at what price does a PRO-610HD become too good a deal to pass up? $5000, $4000?. Is there any compelling reason to wait for the 2002 model (PRO-620HD)?
    Any comments are welcome.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Dan
     
  2. JasonZ

    JasonZ Agent

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2000
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    hi,
    i sell pioneer elite at the shop i work at and the rep was in the other day. the changes in the new sets will be minimal, improved lenses,etc. but will more importantly deal with the lock in full mode problem. the pricing has not been announced but i would imagine that they will drop to remain competitive.
     
  3. Dan Driscoll

    Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2000
    Messages:
    937
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hello Jason,
    Did the rep happen to say when the 2002 Elite models will be available?
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Dan
     
  4. Jay Mitchosky

    Jay Mitchosky Producer

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 1998
    Messages:
    3,729
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  5. JasonZ

    JasonZ Agent

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2000
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    i think he said around august but i am not positive. the next time he comes through i will follow up.
     
  6. Todd Hochard

    Todd Hochard Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 1999
    Messages:
    2,312
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  7. Will

    Will Guest

    I read on another thread that year 2002 Pioneer non-Elite
    RPTVs will have line doublers that are as good as what's
    on current Pioneer Elites.
    Pioneer non-Elites are much less expensive than Elites.
    If you can wait for the new models to appear, I'd wait.
    It's only a few months and prices may drop on current
    models even more when the new models arrive.
     
  8. Dre J

    Dre J Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2000
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Jay,
    You said.
     
  9. Dan Driscoll

    Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2000
    Messages:
    937
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded, your comments and info are appreciated.
    ------------------
    Dan
     

Share This Page