Elite & Non-Elite RPTV Owners - What do you see?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Hewitt, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Tim Hewitt

Tim Hewitt Auditioning

How do these scenes look on your set? Maybe after having this 510HD set for a while I'm just getting more critical. Last year at this time Pioneer replaced the complete CRT assembly(all guns)due to burn marks on all 3. I had them back after a week to re-adjust geometry & calibtate, it was looking better.

Since, however, I feel the set is just not what it was before the guns were replaced. I'am experiencing blotchiness on lower lit scenes & some lose of details & proper colour of some flesh tones. If I take a look the scan lines in the affected area the scan line is either green or red and appear to be pulsating, what appears to be drop out. Before I have them back, I want to confirm these are not transfer issues.

Here are some examples, could some of you check these scenes & tell me what you see. Please use an interlaced dvd output so the line Pioneer's line double is used. I have tired another player & cables, no improvement.

Gladiator Chapter 4 (19:30)

Crowe taking to Pheonix, Pheonix's face along the jaw & upper neck has lost all detail & goes almost black.

Gladiator Chapter 27 (2:24)

As her highness she bends down to Gladiator, the flesh tones on the side of her nose & lower cheek are gray, all detail is lost.

BraveHeart Chapter 19 (2:35)

As the Princess is whispering to Longshanks, a spot Langshank's forehead & portions of the Princess's face looses details. Again blotchiness

Almost Famous(Theatrical Ver.) Chapter 14 (1:05)

Bathroom scene, Penny Lane's face & neck is blotchy, with greenish/gray areas.

Almost Famous Chapter Chapter 14 (1:07)

Ben is talking to William on the phone, the flesh tones on Ben's cheek is blotchy.

2. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

My SD533HD5 does not have ANY of the problems that you describe above.

......Just a fantastic picture......

3. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tim
    There is nothing worse than watching a picture that you know is not right.
    I am a little un clear, however it sounds that it was a dvd that you were watching.
    The very obvious which I have overlooked in the past,is there fingerprints or smudges on the disk? This will cause things to happen to the qaulity of the picture.
    How old is your dvd player is the laser burning out?
    They have an estimated life span of 1000 hours on the average.
    A simple solution would be to borrow a dvd player from a friend and look at the identical scenes.
    If you have elimited the source as the problem then it must be the set.
    Have pioneer come back and have a look.
    Contact Pioneer Canada in Markham a very knowledgible person there is Roger Cormier. I have not spoken to him for 6 months,but I presume he still works there.
    Approach them with the thought of exchanging the set.
    An other completely different approach would be IMS
    the web page is www.imagescience.com
    I have had thoughts of having this calibration done to my set a Toshiba HDTV the cost is ablout 3 to $400.00 Pioneer may cost more due to set up fields that are peculiar to a Pioneer
    Kennedy Rd Hi Fi on Hwy 7 Unionville ,Des Young is a qualified person you may wish to consult,he services Pioneer and Toshiba.
    These tecnichians are located throughtout Canada and USA and I am certain if you do a search on the web page you would find one in the Burlington area .
    There is a thing called phosphorous burn that will damage the screen I know little about it other than the fact it will leave a burned in image on the screen due to inactivity of the picture. CNN news channel or other news channel appear to be the biggest cause of it but I am told watching a smaller picture on a black background will also cause it
    These are some of my thoughts on your problems.
    Good luck in your quest for a better quality picture.

4. James FT

Hi Tim
    There is nothing worse than watching a picture that you know is not right.
    I am a little un clear, however it sounds that it was a dvd that you were watching.
    The very obvious which I have overlooked in the past,is there fingerprints or smudges on the disk? This will cause things to happen to the qaulity of the picture.
    How old is your dvd player is the laser burning out?
    They have an estimated life span of 1000 hours on the average.
    A simple solution would be to borrow a dvd player from a friend and look at the identical scenes.
    If you have elimited the source as the problem then it must be the set.
    Have pioneer come back and have a look.
    Contact Pioneer Canada in Markham a very knowledgible person there is Roger Cormier. I have not spoken to him for 6 months,but I presume he still works there.
    Approach them with the thought of exchanging the set.
    An other completely different approach would be IMS
    the web page is www.imagescience.com
    I have had thoughts of having this calibration done to my set a Toshiba HDTV the cost is ablout 3 to $400.00 Pioneer may cost more due to set up fields that are peculiar to a Pioneer
    Kennedy Rd Hi Fi on Hwy 7 Unionville ,Des Young is a qualified person you may wish to consult,he services Pioneer and Toshiba.
    These tecnichians are located throughtout Canada and USA and I am certain if you do a search on the web page you would find one in the Burlington area .
    There is a thing called phosphorous burn that will damage the screen I know little about it other than the fact it will leave a burned in image on the screen due to inactivity of the picture. CNN news channel or other news channel appear to be the biggest cause of it but I am told watching a smaller picture on a black background will also cause it
    These are some of my thoughts on your problems.
    Good luck in your quest for a better quality picture.

5. James FT

Hi again other than the fact I posted twice the same reply ,the calibrating organixation should read www.imagingscience.com or imaging science foundation (isf) this web site will give an address of local suppliers of the service. Several members of this forum are isf trained.