Elite DV-C36: Is it or isn't it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren K Price, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Darren K Price

I would like to know if this unit that I just purchased is actually progressive scan or not. According to Pioneer and Ultimate Electronics where I purchased the unit it is. However, I have read and seen that the unit is not. In fact, in the last issue of DVD.ETC. they state that the unit is not progressive scan. A little help and clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Darren K Price

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

It has a line doubler, but no 3/2 pulldown. Still, a good player.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darren, for some silly reason, Pioneer made the mistake of putting the progressive-scan label on certain players that do not offer true progressive-scan output. Models include the discontinued DV-434, '444, 'C603, and Elite 'C36.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As an amendment to my previous post, the silly reason that Pioneer put the progressive-scan label on the '434, '444, 'C603, and Elite 'C36 was probably one of simple marketing.

5. Darren K Price

...and should I take it back? Seems like I have a good reason too. I do like the picture but I am concerned it will not perform as well on the digital set I intend on getting for Xmas.

Darren K Price

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darren, I have not used the 'C36, but you could very well find that a true progressive-scan player will give a better picture on an HDTV. A couple relatively inexpensive players that reportedly give an excellent progressive-scan picture (no chroma bug) are the Denon DVD-1600 for around $500 and the Panasonic DVD-RP82 for around $230. See www.crutchfield.com for more information. You should be able to find these players in local stores too.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darren, one more thing. If you are really interested in a changer, consider the Panasonic DVD-CP72. It's not as impressive as the 'C36 in terms of look and feel, but it offers true progressive-scan output with no chroma bug. See crutchfield.com for more on the 'CP72 as well.

8. Nathan_R

I have a c36 as well. Here's what I did: I set aside some more cash for an iscan v2 to do line doubling and get 3/2 pulldown. I run everything (2 dvd players, 1 ld player, and sometimes a VCR) via s-video to my iscan and then to the display for a high quality signal. While it's more money upfront, this will give you the ability to scale all your other video sources.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I owned the C36 but at the time I had it I was under the impression it was NOT a progressive scan player. I later sold and and got the Toshiba SD9200 and I'm much happier. While nothing was really wrong with the Pioneer, I just wanted something that could do prog. scan. I found a great deal on the SD9200 at ubid.com($360). I find the picture is better but theirs not a world of difference. The main difference is in audio, there's just no comparing. The Toshiba is far better for DVD and CD playback and it also has DVD Audio and HDCD decoders. For some strange reason it pleases me to know I have a DVD player that weighs as much as some receivers(23lbs).

You can find them around the net pretty cheap, I'm not sure if ubid.com still sells them. They also sell the higher end Panasonics mentioned above and every now and then the Pioneer Elite's pop up but there's not factory warranty on them.

10. Darren K Price

Thanks guys! Now the wife's really hot thinking we were sold a misrepresented item. I feel bad for the sales guy that gets us this weekend [​IMG].
    Darren K Price

11. Nathan_R

As a VERY general rule of thumb as far as Elites are concerned, look for "Pure Progressive Cinema" on the units for 3/2 pulldown. From what I've gathered as a consumer, this tag means 32 pulldown; otherwise you're just getting a doubler. For the $399 that Tweeter/Hi-Fi Buys/etc is asking, it's still a nice price-- hey, you get a nifty screensaver.
    [​IMG]
    Best regards,
    ~~Nathan