Elite 45TX and dvd audio/sacd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave T, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

Here is my question,
    I am looking to purchase the 45TX and the elite 45 dvd audio/sacd player. What I am not sure about is will my sub work through the multi channel inputs? I thought I read somewhere that the bass would only go to the main speakers.
    If it will work does it work in both 5.1 channel and 2 channel stereo?
    I know there are many experts out there on this receiver so thanks for the input.
    [​IMG]
    Dave T

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Just connect the sub to the LFE output of the receiver.

3. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

I have the 45 tx w/ 5 channel in from my sacd, the sub works normal,

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Does the 45TX's bass management work on the 5.1 analog inputs? It does not with my 47TX. If the answer is no, then your sub may not work the way you expect it to with DVD-Audio and SACD, since many of these players also do not provide bass management for the DVD-Audio or SACD signals. This means that if all your speakers are not full range, you will have some issues reproducing lower bass frequencies in your smaller speakers. The ".1" LFE channel will be sent to your subwoofer properly, but any lower bass frequencies in the small speakers could be lost.

By contrast, any signals sent via the digital optical/coaxial output of the DVD player will be processed by your receiver's DD or DTS decoders and bass management system. Unfortunately, neither DVD-Audio nor SACD signals may be transmitted via these digital connections. They must be sent to the receiver via the 5.1 analog audio connections.

For example, my DVD-Audio/Video player (Panasonic RP-91) provides bass management only when using its built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, but not for DVD-Audio. However, my Sony SCD-555ES SACD player does provide bass management for SACD.

One solution for this issue is adding an external bass management processor, such as an ICBM from Outlaw Audio.

5. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

Thanks for the replies.
    Scott, I understand everything you said and that is what I was thinking.
    So now my question is does anyone know if the elite dv45a's bass managment will work with the dvd-audion and sacd?

David, What dvd player are you using? and does your sub work with 2 channel sacd of dvd-a?

6. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Scott if you want to get bass management with your 47tx with the multi-ins all you have to do is select Multi-ch button twice it will go from direct mode to adjust mode. In Adjust Mode you will have bass management. Just make sure you don't have your speakers set to large and that you have yes on the sub option.

Daniel Smith

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

More dvd-audio/SACD weirdness rears its confusing head.........
    If you use PCM-based bass management (from now on: "b.m.") and it's NOT based on 192kHz/24bit chips, then sort-of bad things will happen:
    1) Your dvd-audio's pristine signals will undergo ANOTHER analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion. Nothing earthshaking but this doesn't help signal purity.
    2) If you are running an analog signal derived from a super hi-rez 192/24 bitstream, the b.m. circuitry will convert it to whatever bitstream system IT uses, wiping out any advantage of that finely detailed 192/24-based waveform. I.e., if your receiver uses 96/24 b.m. chips--->you get a 96/24 quality analog signal. Not exactly trash, but not what you paid for either!
    And if you are running an SACD player through those b.m. circuits-oh God, over on AudioAsylum's Hi-Rez forum they would have fainting spells! [​IMG] Even with 192/24-based b.m., most of SACD's advantages (ahem) over PCM would vaporise.
    Outlaw's "ICBM" bass-management gizmo doesn't use any digital circuitry: it's all analog. So it's "safe" to use with any type of player.
    LJ

9. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

Bass Management does not work through the Multi-Ch inputs on the 47TX because it does not have 8 A/D converters for the analog inputs, like the 49TX does.