What's new

Elite 45a VS Panny DVDRP82 (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I know their totally different as far as playback options go. But which one is the better 'bang for the buck'. I own the 45A right now but have 8 days to return it if you guys change my mind.

Here are the main pro's(as I see it) to each;
45A-
SACD, DVDA playback
Bass management
Pure cinema progressive picture

DVDRP82-
Cheap
no chroma bug(what does that mean anyway? I'm afraid to ask cause now I'll notice that to on the 45A)
proggresive scan, 3/2 pulldown?

The main reason I'm asking is that the 45A has artifacts all over the background of the picture and their is digital noise that really pisses me off because now all I see is that. I really hate coming hear and becoming educated in these things because I WAS happy but know I'm not so sure.

Any of you had or compared both?

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
Video: panasonic
Audio: Pioneer

Have you ran Avia on your Display, or other setup disc to optimize your video settings? I have the 45a and it looks great! I also have a panasonic RP-91, which is similiar... It looks almost identical. Seems like your display is the problem. You have a great player.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
No I do not have Avia. Where can I buy this? Best Buy, Circuit City? I know I really like the picture(looks just like film) but the background really ticks me off.

What can you all do with these DVD's that makes the picture so good?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I have both the Pioneer 45a and RP82 in my house right now - also trying to decide between them. I can't tell much different on the video side. I did think Monster's Inc had slightly better colors with the Panny, although its so slight.

I do like the looks of the Pioneer better. But, the Panny is half of the price, but then you loose out on SACD. I guess it may be a toss up.

On a side note, what DVD's do you use to compare 2 players? And are there certain things you look for? or know to watch for?

Thanks, Aaron

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but is their a $300 difference between the 2. I mean is SACD playback worth $300 to you, to me its not. Bass management is nice but still not worth the extra $300. What do you think Aaron.

What types of feature does the Panny have in the menu thats fun to tweak with?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Actually, the difference to me is going to be around $160. But still, its significant, like you said. Yes, I think I'd pay $160 more to have SACD and a nicer looking unit, but my primary goal is to get the best video quality I can. I haven't really tweeked with either menu yet, just put in 3-4 different discs in each machine, selected a few scenes, and tried to see if I could tell a difference between the two.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Seems like your display is the problem. You have a great player.
I've gone through a couple of DVD players(DV-C36 I still have, DV-37 returned, Sony 700p returned) and I don't think I've had this problem before, atleast not to this point. Maybe now I just know what to look for and I notice it alot more. Damn these forums!

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Matt, did you try adjusting the 45A's video setup controls? Mainly the Fine Focus, PureCinema, and sharpness. Picture looks awesome here!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks