What's new

Elite 45 in THX (1 Viewer)

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my Elite 45, and connected to some THX certified Klipsch speakers. While watching Star Wars episode 1 the actors voices track was not coming through very clearly so., I switched to music Dolby and the sounds of the voices came through much clearer. In other words the THX setting, by the way I had it in movie mode, didn't work very well. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I've been through the manual front and back several times and I realize that there are several things I need to learn. So you may see me asking several questions on this forum regarding the set up to this 45, please be patient.

Also, am I am the right forum? Or do I need to go to different forum?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I would say this question would get the best response in either the Basics forum or the Receivers forum. Moving it to Basics . . .
Critically important to getting the right balance of sound is adjusting the volume of each speaker using test tones and a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, available from Radio Shack. The test tones can be those generated by your receiver or included on various calibration discs, such as AVIA (which also comes with detailed instructions on how to use an SPL meter). If you do a search in the Basics forum on "SPL", you'll find some relevant discussions.
Even with a properly calibrated system, no two rooms sound alike. It may very well be that, in your particular space, the THX mode isn't optimal and you're better off with a regular Dolby Digital mode. You wouldn't be the first one to make that discovery.
M.

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 45tx also, and use the M&K 150 system and have no problem. Have you run the Mac set up program?

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I've run the MAAC setup, but what I think has happened is my center channel wasn't working properly , and the Maac detected it anyway. Speaker will be replaced by Thurs. and I'll run another MAAC, then fine tune afterwards.

Michael, do you realy think I need the SPL since the 45 comes with its own setup mike?

Thanks guys for all the input.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Michael, do you realy think I need the SPL since the 45 comes with its own setup mike?
I have zero experience with setup mikes, but if it were me, I'd want to confirm that the setup program accurately calibrated the balances.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
First, by measuring the output of each speaker, using test tones and taking the measurements from the listening position.

Second, if the test above doesn't produce a response of 75db from each speaker at the listening position, by manually adjusting the system to achieve that balance and seeing whether I liked the sound better than what resulted from the microphone calibration procedure.

Of course, if the system sounds fine to you after you've replaced the center speaker, there's really no need to bother.

M.

Tommy_C

Stunt Coordinator
Jaydee, The mike works fine and is not checking the mode. It is checking the distance and presence of the speaker. Here are a few things I would check too. First I clicked on the remote the SB CH MODE button until it was set to ON. This turned on the Surround EX mode. Then I would make sure you have the 5.1ex selected in the dvd audio menu. If you want you may call me at 425 427 1995 and we can brain storm this. I know it took me some playing around to get it dialed in, and I am still finding new things.

Tom

jaydee

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy:

Doesn't turning on the SB tell the receiver that I have Surbacks?

I'll call you in a few days when I replace my Klipsch's with the PSB setup I've ordered.

I know what you mean about dialing it in though. I sent my kids to scholl this AM and have been tweaking now for 3 hours straight. I initially was going with the 43 and siomeone suggested the 45, and I'm thrilled.

Man, this SVS PCi 16-46 rocks when you dial it in, although it is rather large.

Talk to you soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks