What's new

Elite 41/811S power drop problem (1 Viewer)

Scott*CB

Grip
OK, I had a bit of the 811S overload problem with my 41. I have secured the wiring connections and even upgraded to better wire so it's not that simple. The receiver is pushing DefTech ProCinema 80s set up FL-CS-SS with the Sub on and the x-over at 100. The fronts are run out through the high level connections on the sub as per Def Tech instructions with LFE connected via cable. I guess it could be the questionable Def Tech resistance. Is anyone running the 811/ProCinema setup successfully?

This thing was sounding incredible with some heavy DVDs like Gladiator and LOTR, going really loud with huge bass at levels like -45 to -40. Since the overloads it isn't nearly as loud nor as well balanced. I haven't changed the basic setup since I placed the speakers. -40 no longer shakes the room and the bass often seems detached and boomy even though the sub is in the same position where it was perfect. The receiver still functions fine and surround is OK but it just isn't as strong as it was.

I can't expect the thing to actually get worse as it breaks in, can I, or did something just break and it's not running 100%? It's only 10 days old so it shouldn't be hard to return. It's too bad because when it was good it was very very good.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Scott, from a quick glance at your post, are you using the sub to do your crossover? it sounds like you're redirecting all your bass to the fronts and then letting the sub set the crossover. I guess my question is in this mode, is the sub simply acting like a passive sub? This may put more of the bass amplification load onto the receiver. Have you tried simply using the sub-preout and setting your front speakers to Small? i.e. don't wire them through the sub. Also, have you verified that the receiver is the one acting strange or the sub itself - if the problem appears to be lack of bass all of a sudden.

good luck,

--tom

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
I agree with Tom. I'm not familiar with your receiver but if it has bass management, then you'd be better off using that instead of the sub's high level crossover. At present your receiver is amplifying the full range signal which is significant on the DVD's you mentioned. It would be interesting to see how your receiver performs without having to produce the low frequencies - receiver set to sub=yes, speakers=small, speaker cables going straight to speakers (not thru sub)...
My .02
Wyatt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks