Elfego Baca/Swamp Fox on Disney Treasures

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by michael_ks, Aug 30, 2005.

1. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

This two disc set will be released in the coming months. I gather these two series were produced in much the same way as Disney's better known Davy Crockett series which premiered a few years earlier, i.e. they were intended to be mini-series with roughly 8-10 installments. I do have the Crockett 'Disney Treasures' release--they did a fine job on the DVD and transfers are remarkably clear with bright colors, so I have little doubt that this release will be treated with the same level of quality.

Does anyone here have any memories/information to share on Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox? All I know is that they star two actors I enjoy watching (Robert Loggia, who I remember fondly in T.H.E. Cat series) and Leslie Nielson, a solid presence on many of the 50's-60's dramas such as Studio One, Route 66, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Kung Fu, Dr. Kildare, etc. For someone like me who enjoys vintage TV series, especially those set within a historical context, adding to the fact that it's early Disney ('58-'59) this set would appear to be a no-brainer for purchasing, am I right?

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I can't say that I have vivid memories of either series but I do remember seeing them in my childhood and will likely pick up this set and it will be the first time that I've seen them since the original broadcasts. I probably remember Elfego Baca a little more because, as I remember it, the show was a little more along the lines of a traditional Western and Robert Loggia is etched into my mind moreso than Leslie Nielsen's portrayal of the Swamp Fox. To be fair, I probably only saw an episode or two of Swamp Fox, but I think that I probably saw every episode of Elfego Baca. I remember my father telling me when the series was over, and thinking to myself that I would never see Elfego Baca again. Well, here we are 45+ years later and I'll get a chance to revisit the series. Incidentally, Mel Gibson's "composite" character in the theatrical film "The Patriot" was supposedly based, in part, on the Swamp Fox.

One non-Disney show of the era that was also based on a historical figure was "The Adventures of Jim Bowie," which has had some of its episodes released by several companies specializing in public domain releases. VCI Entertainment released a 13 episode set that's not bad, but I don't think that there has ever been an official release of this series, which was produced by, of all companies, Desilu.

3. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Bob,

Thanks for your input. I've added this set to my deepdiscountdvd wish list, which is rapidly mounting up with several classic tv series releases due later in the year. If you go to Amazon.com there are a couple of reviews posted which give additional information about the Baca/Fox episodes. This appears to be something of a "sampler" like the Clint Walker "Cheyenne" release I'm also looking forward to.

I do have a 3-4 episode 99 cent "Jim Bowie" DVD--unfortunately the quality of the transfer is exceedingly poor--as to be expected based on the price. As for other shows with historical figures which may see a release soon, "Daniel Boone" season one by Liberty Entertainment looks promising for '05-'06.

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

"Cheyenne" and "Maverick" are most definitely on my Fall "want list," even if they're just 3-episode compilations. Deep Discount has these on pre-order for just $5.99 shipped and I'm guessing that we might even see these in Wal-Mart's infamous "dump bin" for $5.50 each. By the way, Clint Walker will be selling autographed versions of the DVD at his web site:

http://www.clintwalker.com/

5. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Thanks for the link--learned a bit more about the "Cheyenne" series. I didn't know it was the first hour long western, and had such a long run (8 years). I never saw the show before, but eagerly await the DVD release.

6. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

"Cheyenne" is another in a series of shows that I have some vague memories of from the late 1950s/early 1960s. However, if pressed, I couldn't give you the details about a single episode. But I'm getting this (and "Maverick") because I enjoy television Westerns, and both shows were made in the "golden age" of Warner's TV production. Warner's did have some selected episodes from both series released on VHS some years ago, but I missed them and am really looking forward to these two releases. I am a little disappointed in Warner's, however, as this is their 50th anniversary in television production and they were supposed to have a number of special surprise releases this year commemorating the anniversary. Outside of their "TV Favorites" line (Cheyenne, Maverick, F-Troop, Welcome Back Kotter, and Chico & the Man), all single disc compilations, the only significant classic/vintage TV release this year is season 1 of "The Adventures of Superman." There's just so much more in their catalog that I would have liked to have seen, even if it meant just a single disc compilation.

7. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

The thing is - I know NOTHING about either of these shows. However, I've enjoyed the Disney live action TV shows that have been released (and regret not getting the Crocket set), so I very well might go into this blind.

Strangly enough, I dont like Disney animation. Mickey and Goofy and ect doesnt really do it for me. But the Tommorowland and Disneyland USA sets really rock the house.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    The only series disney series I've seen was Crockett, thanks to the Treasure. I well probably grab up these 2 as well.

What happened to "AKA: The Scarecrow" with Patrick Mcgohan? This was supposed to be a treasure 2 years ago and hasn't been rumored since.

9. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Has anyone purchased this set? I'm a little miffed at the MSRP on this one considering that it only contains 3 episodes each of 'Elfego Baca' and 'The Swamp Fox'. I believe each "series" only had 8 episodes apiece. Had they all been represented, the 16 or so episodes would be more in line with the asking price for the set. At nearly 4 dollars an episode, there are much better vintage tv values out there. What gives, Disney? Keep the tin box and give us all the episodes! I may still purchase if the transfer and entertainment value are top notch, but until then...

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Costco has the Disney tins for $20.99.

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yikes, I haven't opened the tin yet. Didn't realise the whole series weren't there, the packaging is pretty vague on that. Sort of sounds like it's complete, but they use weasel words and never actually say they're complete, and it's not like they say "Volume 1" to let you know there's more coming. So you get 6 episodes only...then this is waaay over-priced IMO, makes HBO stuff look cheap. Problem is, if you don't buy it, like Davy Crockett which languished on shelves for years up here, the price will get much higher soon. I don't know why, I think people buy a few tins they like, then decide "I'm gonna get them all" on a whim, it becomes a quest, then find out the "lamer" ones are kinda hard to find...

[For those "rare" old Disney tins you missed, if you just want the content without the tin, R2 versions in a keepcase are about $6 (like SS, MMILCV1).]

Edit: OTOH, Spin and Marty is the complete first season, and that *is* stated explicitly.

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I received my copy of it today and it only contains the first three episodes of Swamp Fox and Episodes 1,2, and 5 of Elfego Baca. I rather they have done a two disc of all the Swamp Fox episodes. They even give better treament to the number of episodes for the Adventures of Spin and Marty

13. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

If this particular WALT DISNEY TREASURES edition sells well enough than I'm sure that an additional 2-disc set with the remaining segments will be forthcoming...which is probably what the company intended all along.

By combining two different tv titles in the single set it becomes the old "If you don't like one then you still have to purchase the set to get the other" strategy...which one does have to admire for its cleverness!

Where I bought mine I noticed that they were rather steep in price and there was a large inventory so....

Fortunately I was able to price match and beat my purchase with a rival competitor's lower retail list price.

I'd really wish that the 6 special hour long segments of ZORRO aired on WALT DISNEY PRESENTS (ABC 1954-61) would (finally) be made available in the WALT DISNEY TREASURES limited edition collection series...and in a hurry! Hopefully sometime in 2006.

WHY are we always kept waiting for the really good stuff?! Sheesh!

Jeff T.

14. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Why indeed--it can be quite an exercise in frustration...

Thanks for the replies. I'd still like to know, though, are the transfers for Swamp Fox and Baca comparable to those for Davy Crockett?

15. PatH

PatH Second Unit

I just got mine today and haven't opened them. I'll assume David Blackwell knows whereof he speaks (at least he's opened his), but the question then becomes (asked with a certain air of futility) why Disney proceeded in this manner? I don't remember Swamp Fox as having eight episodes but I know it had at least four. I know Elfego Baca had more than four, but why would anyone in their right mind put out episodes 1, 2, and 5? Last time I learned to count, 3 and 4 were before 5. Now I don't know whether to attempt to return these or not. Perhaps I'll have to wait for the companion tin to the Disney Rarities--Disney's Miscellany, a lovely multi-disc set that will contain all the episodes omitted from other tins.

PatH

Update: Just Googled these. There were 10 Elfego Baca and 8 Swamp Fox. Maybe this whole deal is one last kiss from Eisner.

PatH

16. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I went to BestBuy in THousand Oaks, CA on the 6th, circa 8pm. The ONLY tin they had left was Elfego Baca lol! They had 12 copies of Elfego Baca and none of the other three. I played a hunch and drove down to the Oxnard store, about 20 miles north. That store had ALL four tins, and plenty of each. I only bought Rareties and Donald Duck, cause that's all I'm likely to sit and watch. Elfego who?

17. David_Blackwell

I even checked out a couple episodes of Swamp Fox. the quality looks OK.

18. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

You know, when the first of the Disney treasure came and went, I pretty much ignored them. Disney was never my bag as far as animation goes (I'm much more a Loony Toons fan).

I picked up Disneyland USA on a whim because I was heading on a trip to Disneland for a week, and really enjoyed it. Since then I've yet been dissapointed by the live action discs. Elfego/Fox was a complete blind buy for me - I'd never seen them on TV, and yet I've been loving the heck out of 'em. Great quality entertainment that stands up 40 years later.

I regret not picking up the Crockett set way back when Costco had 'em. Ah well.

19. David_Blackwell

I'm disappointed we only get to see the first three episdoes of Swamp Fox since it is very serialized.

20. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

I'm still debating on this one. I hate the insipid decision made by Disney, treating the release as if it were a VHS edition--I mean 6 miserly episodes of EB/SF takes up as much shelf space as 'Kung Fu' S2 and costs about the same.

Unfortunately, this is about it for classic 50's-60's tv in time for Christmas. It's not until Jan-Feb when Adventures of Superman S2, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Have Gun--Will Travel S3 make their appearance. Dang!