What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner brings Jon Favreau’s holiday classic elf to 4K UHD Blu-ray with a much-improved transfer.

Elf (2003)

Released: 07 Nov 2003
Rated: PG
Runtime: 97 min

Director: Jon Favreau
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family

Cast: Will Ferrell, James Caan, Bob Newhart
Writer(s): David Berenbaum

Plot: Raised as an oversized elf, Buddy travels from the North Pole to New York City to meet his biological father, Walter Hobbs, who doesn't know he exists and is in desperate need of some Christmas spirit.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: 64

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA...

Continue reading...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
elf has never looked good on home video, and the proof can be found on the included Blu-ray release from 2008, which had muted colors and was plagued by smeary DNR. At least, until NOW. Warner has gone back to the original camera negative (where possible) and created a new 4K scan. The 2160p HEVC-encoded transfer retains the film’s theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 (opposed to the Blu-ray’s 1.78:1 aspect ratio) and added HDR10 high dynamic range. The difference is night and day, as the UHD has bolder colors and a very noticeable increase in detail. The velvety textures of the North Pole costumes is much more evident now, as well as more distinct wood grains in the floor boards. Contrast is improved, with deeper blacks and stronger shadow detail, as well as brighter highlights that still reveal minute details in the snow drifts.
Well, I was going to happily ignore this release since I bought the blu-ray in 2020. But now you’re telling me blu-ray looks terrible I need the 4K and thanks a lot! :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the review, Todd. I'm happy to hear that we have a shiny new transfer! Too bad the included Blu-ray is the old release though. I *really* wish that studios would stop doing this. If you've gone to the trouble of doing all that work for the 4K, just give us a Blu-ray derived from the same master!

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Thanks for the review, Todd. I'm happy to hear that we have a shiny new transfer! Too bad the included Blu-ray is the old release though. I *really* wish that studios would stop doing this. If you've gone to the trouble of doing all that work for the 4K, just give us a Blu-ray derived from the same master!
Not sure why you need to include a Blu-ray in the package if you already have the 4K disc. How about a better price sans the Blu-ray? I think my old Blu-ray is good enough on this release. My wife says I have to cut down on my purchases. She says I have "a problem". I agree, I do have a problem, not enough cool 4K discs on my shelf!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not sure why you need to include a Blu-ray in the package if you already have the 4K disc. How about a better price sans the Blu-ray? I think my old Blu-ray is good enough on this release. My wife says I have to cut down on my purchases. She says I have "a problem". I agree, I do have a problem, not enough cool 4K discs on my shelf!
In most cases, as is likely the case here, the Blu-ray is included in order to have access to the special features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks