Elevator to the Gallows Aspect Ratio?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by PaulaJ, Sep 25, 2005.

1. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Hi, I just saw Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows at the Landmark Midtown Art Cinema in Atlanta, and I'm wondering what the aspect ratio of this film is supposed to be. They showed it 1:85 but at that ratio heads were frequently chopped off -- sometimes just to the middle of the forehead, or just the eyes, but frequently the entire head. The subtitles looked correctly placed so I'm guessing this is really meant to be seen in 1:66, but I'd like some confirmation on this issue.

(This is the same allegedly arthouse theater that showed six 35mm Harold Lloyd films last weekend, three of them WITHOUT MUSIC.)

I get the feeling the Midtown Art shows these old movies without checking first to make sure everything is right.

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I recently saw a screening of it as well, and I think it was 1.37:1. I can definitely say that it was NOT 1.85:1.

3. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

I just saw this Louis Malle classic in Chicago at the Music Box a couple weeks ago. Some tight framing but nothing that looked absurdly cropped or chopped. Hadn'seen it since I was in art school amny moons ago.

Dunno, I wasn't paying atttention to the aspect ratio but I sat closer than normal for the frame to fill my view. I can't say exactly what the ratio was but I don't think it was as wide as 1.85:1

I wish this were on DVD.

4. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

>I wish this were on DVD.

Oh, I'm sure Rialto will announce a nice new DVD of the film once it's made the theatrical rounds.

It's good to know my local arthouse management doesn't know anything about film aspect ratios and what a movie is supposed to look like. [​IMG] Whatever this film is, it's not 1:85.

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Rialto releases usually end up as Criterion DVDs. The most recent installment of Criterion's monthly newsletter says that they're releasing some Malle in "early 2006," but they don't mention Elevator. The ones they specified were Lacombe Lucien, Murmur of the Heart, and Au Revoir Les Enfants.