Elephant on DVD May 4th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Justin_S, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Another of the best films of 2003 hits DVD on May 4th. Unfortunately, like 21 Grams, it also has hardly any features. Oh well, just looking forward to seeing it again. This comes from DVDFile:

Just in from HBO Home Video is a May 4th debut for Gus Van Sant's controversial and acclaimed look at the Columbine tragedy, Elephant. The disc will be light on extras, with both anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers and Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 surround tracks, plus the featurette "Rolling Through Time" and theatrical trailers. Retail will be $27.95.

Can't wait!

2. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Here's the cover art:

[​IMG]

3. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Superb movie! Now, I don't understand this:

The disc will be light on extras, with both anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers

The movie was shot in a 1.33:1 ratio and why should there be a widescreen ratio also?

4. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

You know the answer already, to cater for the 16x9 set "Fill My Screen" crowd.

*sigh*

5. Mattias_ka

Of course I already know that! [​IMG]

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The film was shot in 1.33:1 and presented that way for film festivals.

Now for it's theatrical release, the film was presented in 1.85:1 in most theaters.

Confusing, huh?

7. Mattias_ka

Well, the OAR are, according to me, 1.33:1. Just that today's theater often cannot show 1.33:1 does NOT make the ratio right IMO

8. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Most theaters can show 1.33:1, just that it would be windowboxed (The Blair Witch Project). As I said, film festivals presented the film in 1.33:1 while it was matted for it's theatrical release. When I saw the film during it's theatrical release I totally forgot the fact the film was shot in 1.33:1 and I actually thought the film was shot in 1.85:1 (the framing was pretty good actually).

Now I'm sure Gus Van Sant had some say when the film was being released to theaters, so I'm sure he approved the matting for the film.

We should all be lucky HBO is including the 1.33:1. They could've just put the 1.85:1 version on the disc.

And kind of an elitist attitude there with the "according to me" huh?

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The French get a 2-disc DVD of this film (in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio only), with interviews, a short making of and the film by Alan Clark which inspired Van Sant's film:

French DVD

10. Mattias_ka

Well, like I said, the aspect ratio they shot the movie for should be the one we see.