What's new

Elementary Season Five (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If CBS doesn't renew this show, the only other viable party could be WGN renewing it for a possible season 6. Though I don't know if WGN would do this. For a 6-year old show, they might have to ask the leads and crew to take a salary cut, for an otherwise likely expensive show.

IIRC, WGN picked up the off-network syndication for Elementary back in 2014.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CBS has sold the show in syndication around the world. Last year, the show made $80 million profit for the company which was why there was a season five to get it past 100 episodes. Now they've reached the sweet spot for syndication, they may not feel the need for any more episodes.

On the other hand, I don't think anything currently on their schedule would do any better on Sunday at 10 p.m. than Elementary has done. Possibly CBS might try a new show in the slot next year if there is a pilot they find promising.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Possibly CBS might try a new show in the slot next year if there is a pilot they find promising.

.... or dump another low rated clunker into that same slot. For CBS that has to be the worst slot for dealing with preemptions and sports overruns.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One possible candidate to dump into the 10pm Sunday slot, could be Scorpion for season 4. (ie. Declining ratings).

Though that leaves open a Monday evening slot, which has been a difficult slot for CBS for a long time.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just tried advancing my DTV guide to see if Elementary was on and it is. However, it was not set to record, even to it is a first run. My advice to anyone using DTV is to be sure you are going to record the show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just tried advancing my DTV guide to see if Elementary was on and it is. However, it was not set to record, even to it is a first run. My advice to anyone using DTV is to be sure you are going to record the show.
I noted the same earlier:

For some reason my new HR-54 didn't automatically record it, though, I have the season setting for doing so. I then manually set it to record.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oh, I'd love for there to be even more ELEMENTARY! I was just saying that 5 years is a decent run. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing the story-line with Sherlock and his sometime Aspie Girlfriend be picked up again - That just seemed to annoyingly fall by the wayside! If CBS renews it, I'll keep watching! :)

CHEERS! :)

I agree five years is a decent run, but I'd also like to see them continue it. I've found most of the episodes this year to be quite good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mine was the same, and I set it manually to record. Glad I checked.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The mysteries themselves are as clever as ever. Kitty came back for a two-parter. There has been an on-going subplot stretched out all season with an ex-con played by Nelsen Ellis that Watson has been trying to protect that I don't think has been particularly interesting, but it's obviously going to the end of the season.

The ratings have been poor on Sunday nights for the show, and most are predicting the end of the series by May.
Elementary's ratings are indeed, down significantly this season, plus this year's episode total was cut from 24 to 22: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Elementary_episodes

It doesn't bode well, I'm afraid! :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Elementary's ratings are indeed, down significantly this season, plus this year's episode total was cut from 24 to 22: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Elementary_episodes

It doesn't bode well, I'm afraid! :(
In fairness to Elementary, nobody does well in that time slot. As to its future, I think many of us here already came to that conclusion that the fifth year was most likely the end of the series before this year's episodes aired. Sunday night at 10:00 on CBS with all of their overrun sporting events doesn't help your ratings.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In fairness to Elementary, nobody does well in that time slot. As to its future, I think many of us here already came to that conclusion that the fifth year was most likely the end of the series before this year's episodes aired. Sunday night at 10:00 on CBS with all of their overrun sporting events doesn't help your ratings.
True on all counts. There is a natural tendency to hope for better things, though.

Hopefully, the show's producers are aware enough to not end the series on a stupid cliffhanger!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While I enjoyed this week's mystery, I predicted before Detective Bell entered his girl friend's apartment that she would be dead. Easy to see that coming.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I
While I enjoyed this week's mystery, I predicted before Detective Bell entered his girl friend's apartment that she would be dead. Easy to see that coming.
I wasn't sure whether she was dead. There may have been a finger twitch.
But, like you, when I heard he'd been released, I immediately figured there would be a bloody cliffhanger.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CBS gave Elementary a surprise last-minute renewal this afternoon. Speculation is that Elementary will be placed on the bench to go in if any of the new series falter during the fall. Likely, the show will only get a 13-episode order, and if CBS has a good fall and nothing flops, it'll likely run in the Survivor slot between its seasons as The Mentalist did a few seasons ago for its last season.

We'll likely find out more next week at UpFronts. CBS announces its schedule and plans on Wednesday.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
CBS gave Elementary a surprise last-minute renewal this afternoon. Speculation is that Elementary will be placed on the bench to go in if any of the new series falter during the fall. Likely, the show will only get a 13-episode order, and if CBS has a good fall and nothing flops, it'll likely run in the Survivor slot between its seasons as The Mentalist did a few seasons ago for its last season.

We'll likely find out more next week at UpFronts. CBS announces its schedule and plans on Wednesday.
Praise be to the network gods!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wasn't going to check this thread until I got caught up, but saw the bump and figured it had to be cancellation or renewal news. I was bracing myself for the worst, so I'm happy it's coming back even if it ends up being a limited run.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While I'm really happy to see this renewal, I still wish they would move the show back to Thursday. I fully believe that between NFL and NCAA tournament overruns only a dozen or so eps actually aired as scheduled this season.
Which is why their ratings are suffering. That 10:00 p.m. slot on Sundays for CBS is a killer for shows.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's great news from CBS regarding ELEMENTARY's renewal, although in light of some details cited within the article, perhaps not quite so surprising, after all. 100% network ownership seems to be a fairly crucial element, when a series is on the bubble, renewal wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks