What's new

Elementary (CBS) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
Random thoughts about Thursday's episode...
The first thing that flashed into my mind when Holmes 'ambushed' Watson at the beginning of the episode was the contests between Clouseau and Cato that was one of the staples of the Pink Panther films.
Holme's declaration that Watson made him better strayed dangerously into non-platonic territory which I suppose was countered by his previous 'Do you think you're foxy? comment.
Enjoyed Watson's retaliations against Holmes, in particular the one involving the wire rack of locks.
The striking dummy makes another appearance! I enjoyed Holmes' solution for ballistic testing in a residence.
Glad to see that they have transitioned Watson's role on the show and curious to see how the partnership develops throughout the remainder of the season. Will Watson take self-defense classes?
- Walter.
That's what I'm more interested in seeing since I read an article about her a while back that she earned her 2nd degree Black Belt in some form of martial arts. I think a read that 2-3 years ago.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The developments with Watson were the most interesting parts of this week's episode, and while I, too, thought it sniffed just a bit of a potential romantic connection some time down the line (which will end my interest in the show), for now it remains a unique male-female partnership on television. This week's mystery was one of the easiest to solve thus far. It had to be one of the cops, and when the partner eased far enough into the background to be nonexistent, I had my answer.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I've come to the realization that I just plain like watching Johnny Lee Miller perform the role. He's the new Al Swearingen, or another Raylan Givens, not that they're the same characters, they're just really enjoyable to watch. And was that Macintosh gear on his stereo rack. Quality.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've begun getting reacquainted with Jonny Lee Miller's Eli Stone this past week. It was a heartbreakingly underappreciated show in its day, and it plays so well now.
And you can certainly see how talented he is creating these two singularly unique characters that are far more different than just their accents.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Certainly part of the attraction of the show for me is Miller's characterization of Holmes. Now that House, with Hugh Laurie, has ended - Elementary's Holmes is about as close as one can get to a House-like character. (And yes, i realize why they are similar. :) ) - Walter.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Certainly part of the attraction of the show for me is Miller's characterization of Holmes. Now that House, with Hugh Laurie, has ended - Elementary's Holmes is about as close as one can get to a House-like character. (And yes, i realize why they are similar. :) ) - Walter.
I don't see any comparison at all. House was a jerk. Holmes is very intelligent, maybe a bit of a know it all and eccentric, but House was just plain rude, cruel, snarky, etc. to everyone around him.:rolleyes:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No doubt, Holmes isn't as snarky or rude as House but... Both are driven by the puzzle and will pursue it regardless of consequences. Both are deeply observant (in their respective fields) and make connections that others miss. Both speak their minds with little regard for social mores. Both have been addicts (although House never really stopped.) Both are keenly aware of their intellects and have egos to match (at least on the topic of their minds.) Holmes is nicer than House, no doubt. But given that his character and House are variants on Arthur Conan Doyle's character I have no problems making comparisons between them (or Thomas Jane of The Mentalist, for that matter.) - Walter.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
No doubt, Holmes isn't as snarky or rude as House but... Both are driven by the puzzle and will pursue it regardless of consequences. Both are deeply observant (in their respective fields) and make connections that others miss. Both speak their minds with little regard for social mores. Both have been addicts (although House never really stopped.) Both are keenly aware of their intellects and have egos to match (at least on the topic of their minds.) Holmes is nicer than House, no doubt. But given that his character and House are variants on Arthur Conan Doyle's character I have no problems making comparisons between them (or Thomas Jane of The Mentalist, for that matter.) - Walter.
I see your point, guess I was going more on their outward appearance and treatment of other characters. Not sure of the right word, but Holmes just isn't as "mean" as House was. He's a much more pleasant character to watch, even with his flaws and the way he does speak his mind, he's a bit more like Temperance Brennan on Bones, somewhat "unedited" in his dialogue. House was flat out rude and manipulative, knowing exactly how hurtful his comments to other characters were.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought the March 14 episode was a particularly difficult puzzle and a great case for Watson's first. At the point the two cases were revealed to overlap, both my wife and I sat there wondering, "how the heck does that work?"

The personal stuff with Watson and her friends was also very good, as she slowly begins to overcome self-doubt.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This has become unquestionably my favorite new series this year, and it's one of the few that I watch that I often can't outguess or see what's coming.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
I've begun getting reacquainted with Jonny Lee Miller's Eli Stone this past week. It was a heartbreakingly underappreciated show in its day, and it plays so well now.And you can certainly see how talented he is creating these two singularly unique characters that are far more different than just their accents.
Eli Stone was great, cancelled far to soon. Especially loved the musical/dancing scenes. They were just spontaneous and strange, but very well done.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The different take on Miss Hudson was interesting. I like her being an assistant of sorts, instead of a helpless old lady.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very interesting and fun. Since they switched Watson up for this revisal, switching Miss Hudson up is a no-brainer.Enjoyed this week's show very much. The lady trucker had a fun no-nonsense rapport with Holmes.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Latest news is

we'll be seeing a bit of Irene Adler in the last few episodes of the season and she will be played by Natalie Dormer.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It was an interesting episode last week, more for the character pieces than the mystery, though it seemed to be taking a cue from Hannibal with some of the dead body stuff.Now we're reaching the final stretch with you know who.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Taking some cues from a real Holmes tale, it was an interesting experiment for the series (since the British Sherlock only uses Doyle's stories in reimagined scenarios). I liked it quite a lot.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was certain that F. Murray Abraham was going to turn out to be Moriarty. It seemed odd that an acclaimed actor like him would be used in a rather minor villain role. Or could that be the switch we'll get during the season finale?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Matt Hough said:
I was certain that F. Murray Abraham was going to turn out to be Moriarty. It seemed odd that an acclaimed actor like him would be used in a rather minor villain role. Or could that be the switch we'll get during the season finale?
The second I saw Abrham I "knew" he had to be Moriarty. I was thinking along your lines. But unless he's escaped from custody, he can't be Moriarty, at least not the guy on the phone with Holmes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks