What's new

Elementary (CBS) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyable third episode this week, but I was one step ahead of Holmes for a change.

However, the back-and-forth between Holmes and Watson this week was really working and cementing a great, caring relationship which would make for an ideal Holmes-Watson scenario.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyable third episode this week, but I was one step ahead of Holmes for a change.
The episode title is kind of a give away in that it may be interpreted in several manners. Yes, I enjoyed the development between Holmes and Watson in this episode, as well.
- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just watched it as I ate lunch today. Really enjoyed it, and you're right: his ego could easily have been his undoing.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought it was a strong outing for the show. If they can keep this up, I'll be pleased. I'm starting to enjoy their take on the Holmes and Watson dynamic.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed this week's episode. With the "angel of death" very easy to spot almost from the outset, it was very clever of the writers to include the later twist on another murder/cover-up that kept interest high.

Anika Noni Rose had that same acidic quality to her sneering at Lucy Liu's character that she showed constantly as Wendy Scott-Carr on The Good Wife.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I enjoyed this week's episode. With the "angel of death" very easy to spot almost from the outset, it was very clever of the writers to include the later twist on another murder/cover-up that kept interest high.
Anika Noni Rose had that same acidic quality to her sneering at Lucy Liu's character that she showed constantly as Wendy Scott-Carr on The Good Wife.
She made it very easy to hate Wendy Scott-Carr, but I did not hate her character as much here. I also didn't think of her other character until you mentioned it here.
I was glad that the actor playing the angel of death, David Costabile, at least played quite a different character than I had last seen him on Suits (and also playing a role not too far from his Suits role on an epsiode of Franklin and Bash).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
"She made it very easy to hate Wendy Scott-Carr, but I did not hate her character as much here. I also didn't think of her other character until you mentioned it here."
You wouldn't even have recognized her on Private Practice. I just rewatched the Inside The Actor's Studio episode featuring Eddie Murphy and they talked about Dreamgirls. She was one of the Dreamgirls. I didn't realize that either.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have not watched The Good Wife, so I am not familiar with Anika. I did not find her to be sneering at Watson, so much as dismissive of her. She had the character to let Watson know that Watson was right and she was wrong. I think her character walked away knowing she was lucky Watson saved her patient and her ass.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/324059/elementary-cbs-season-1-thread/30#post_3998078
I have not watched The Good Wife, so I am not familiar with Anika. I did not find her to be sneering at Watson, so much as dismissive of her. She had the character to let Watson know that Watson was right and she was wrong. I think her character walked away knowing she was lucky Watson saved her patient and her ass.
That's how I took it.

Crawdaddy

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I've seen only two episodes, but I like what I've seen thus far. It's on my DVR schedule now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/324059/elementary-cbs-season-1-thread/30#post_3998155
That's how I took it.

I took it that way, too, eventually. But earlier when she showed resentment for Watson's second guessing her, she made a VERY curt comment about "I'm still a doctor" or something like that which was very brusque and condescending.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm guessing that season finale or sweeps week, maybe even the episode that will air after the Super Bowl will introduce Moriarty?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Is the introduction of Moriarty a given? That would be great.
The most recent episode really captivated my wife and I. I love those segments where Holmes learns from Watson, and especially those brief glimpses where the viewer realizes that Holmes had not thought of 'this or that' before, or if he had, not exactly in the same way. His eyes often are riveted on those whom he is interrogating, and when he 'switches off' (for want of a better phrase to describe it) or away from his focus on whomever he's talking to, you can almost feel the wheels in his head moving in a different (but no less interesting) direction.
This is one of the better shows I've seen on network television in quite some time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I do think Jonny Lee Miller is doing a magnificent job playing the facets of Holmes' mania. Loved the bits with Roger Rees who's always interesting. I certainly was fooled into thinking he was dear old dad.
As for the episode, the culprit this week as so many have been was fairly obvious early, but what makes the show SO fascinating are the permutations of the case that must be sifted through before we get to the obvious perp. I really am loving the show.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm enjoying it as well, Johnny Lee miller is perfect in the Role, but Hey I even liked him on Dexter a few Seasons back.
This is the type of Show that if it were on BC would get Cancelled, ON CBS its a big hit.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would think that this show will get a Moriarty that would serve as his big nemesis thru out the run.
Am I the only one who think Miller would make an Excellent "Doctor"

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Of course, despite what Holmes said, Irene Adler is not dead, and she'll pop up in some sweeps event (or in the episode after the Super Bowl). As much as I'm enjoying the show (and this week's episode had a nicely constructed mystery plot), I am disappointed that we're not even halfway through the first season, and Irene Adler is already being pulled out of the drawer. Robert Downey's Holmes and the BBC Sherlock also used her very early in their existences. The ONE important woman in Holmes' life doesn't always have to show up early, and I always think the writers are desperate when they feel they have to use her so early on.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to give the writers of this show credit: they are pumping out some excellent mysteries. Not too complex to understand how all the pieces fit together but complex enough to keep your attention riveted to the screen throughout. And I do enjoy getting to know some backstory about Joan and her family.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
With the scenes from next weeks episode, it looks like they are going to present
Moriarty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks