Elektra - April 5, 2005

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken Chui, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Details posted on DVDAnswers.com:

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the lambasting that this film recieved leaves me in slack jawed awe.
    i didn't find it to be anywhere near as bad as it has been made out to be, and on the contrary i found myself quite entertained thru much of it.
    not one of the most amazing or unique comic book adaptations, and there were elements that i felt were a little weak, but i liked it a hell of a lot better than any of the first four Batman movies.
    and for what its worth, i thought DD was largely a misfire and from what i have heard about the extended scenes, i can't see those rectifying the problems i had with that film-in particular the character of Elektra is just inane in that film, both conceptually and in exectution.

i'm looking forward to seeing the movie again, but at this point i find myself being very ambivilent about purchasing 'new' releases as i expect a title like this will make it way pretty quickly to one of the HD formats.

i'm also curious as to how the film will look.
    i got the feeling in the theater that the projectionist didn't have this one as well focused as he should have.
    it look much too soft to me.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The DD: director's cut is in some ways a different movie. I think it's pretty good.

Elektra was ok, but it could have been way better. I'll probably still get it though.

4. Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong Stunt Coordinator

I saw it. It wasn't bad at all. But a lot of elements of the film remind me of Mortal Combat...which I enjoyed.

In fact Elektra is doing quite well in Asia here. No.1 in box office here this week, again.

5. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed the movie too. But it flopped at the U.S. box office.

6. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Daredevil was about DD, Paul, and the DC makes it even moreso about DD/Matt Murdock. So, I guess it wouldn't help you out by concentrating on the core character.

After seeing Elektra, I can thank my lucky stars it wasn't more about Elektra. Who knew it could go so wrong? I'd rather watch her scenes in DD looped enough times to fill Elektra's runtime than watch that movie again, at least in its present form.

I just rented 13 Going on 30, and although I will probably never watch it again, and certainly not buy it, I found it more enjoyable than Elektra. Looking at Jennifer Garner throughout Elektra couldn't even make it enjoyable for me, and that's saying something. 13 Going on 30 wasn't so terrible that it ruined the joy of gazing at her. It was actually a decent little flick, but nowhere near as funny as I'd hoped it would be. But enough about that: Apples and Oranges.

I'll wait around to see if there's ever a RADICAL re-cut of Elektra to rent. Until then, I'll shake my head every time I see it in stores.

In other words, I'll wait until I hear about Elektra 1.5[​IMG]

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

my problems with DD were
    1) its superficial adherence to replicating comic book panels, without providing the narrative support that the actual comic books themselves had which tended to give those panels any emotional oomph.
    2) the really dopey way the character(s) behaves at times,
    including the main character.

did Elektra really need to be in it anyway?
    was this character ever shown to be a highly skilled, competent assasain?
    from what i recall the first time the character is 'in costume' she bounces around a few rooftops having ineffectual fights until shes killed.
    to me that was a tremendous mis-use of the character and that plotline.
    not only that, but the grieviously inane way they 'meet cute' and fight on the playground....UGH.

i was relieved that Elektra
    1) showed the character, at least once, as the cold, proficent assassain she was supposed to be
    2) gave her an arc
    3) didn't try to cram in a greatest hits sucsession of splash pages from various disconnected storylines into one movie.

for me, it was a simple pulpy action movie, with characters i found enjoyable to watch work their way thru their various problems(even the young girl wasn't as annoying as i had feared watching the trailers).

i didn't really hate Daredevil (in fact the scene at the party where Matt follows her scent up the stairs i felt was really inspired and , in and of itself, better than just about any scene in Elektra)
    however, in toto, i just found Elektra to be ,even given its own deviations, truer to the character i read;
    and i felt it had a more interesting collection of characters in conflict than the other film.
    and the north western forest setting was a refreshing change of pace from the dark gritty urban setting i see in what seems like every other action film.

8. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I'm a projectionist and I had to preview Elektra the Wednesday before the film came out. I too thought it was out of focus but I checked the projector several times and it was not. I guess that's just the way the film was made.

9. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Elektra in DD was like a pre-origin Elektra. Which I actually thought was kind of interesting. She wasn't an assassin. That was pretty clear. She was a person who had been trained in various martial arts growing up. I don't know why audience members and critics alike couldn't figure that out. I knew she wasn't a super-hero or anything akin to that in DD. One critic didn't even know how she knew martial arts, even though they spoon-fed the info to the audience. It's like if they put Peter Parker in a Marvel movie before he was bitten by the spider and audiences expected him to have spider powers. He could still contribute Peter Parker's intellect, the person he was before becoming Spider-Man. Apparently, mass audiences don't go for that kind of thing. I liked "The Saint" which basically didn't have the character become The Saint until the end of the film; it really took the whole movie to tell an origin tale. DD even does that with the DD character to a degree. He's much closer to the actual comic book character at the end of the movie when he's a bit reformed.

I guess too many people wanted the movie to be "Daredevil and Elektra", but that isn't what it was. Her pre-origin outfit was hotter anyway, so I was happy.

And I'll take the playground flirt-fight over Spidey being unmasked in front of all of NYC any day. What harm does showing off in front of pre-schoolers do?

The Elektra movie is, I guess, supposed to be an origin story, but does a piss-poor job of it. The hints in that direction (glimpses of her training, all post-DD mind you) are the best bits of the movie. The rest is just unstyled silliness.

There is a lot more plot connectiveness in the DC of Daredevil. And it makes it even clearer that Elektra is just a SUPPORTING character.

I guess you could look at her as an emerging character like Obi-Wan was in TPM. That movie wasn't really about Obi-Wan, just as DD was not about Elektra.

There's one memorable line in Elektra, memorable only because it sums up American audiences reception to the movie: "Yeah, I hated that." The relationship (and predictability of the romance, i.e. repeated lines like that gem,) in the movie is up there with under-performing Matthew Perry romantic comedies.

That said, I'm sure that like Mr. Perry's grand efforts, many more people will rent this DVD than went to see it in theaters. (Tried to tie it back to the DVD somehow.)