What's new

Electrostatic Panel lifespan !??!?!? (1 Viewer)

Tom@Kl

Auditioning
I'm thinking about buying a set of used Martin Logan electrostatic panels. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for and what I should be avoiding?? Is there a lifespan on this style of speaker............

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I didn't think that anyone would want to sell their ML's once they got them...

Unless it's from an estate sale.:)

You know "until death do us part".

I had the opportunity once to borrow a pair for a weekend. The soundstage presented by these speakers is encompassing. Ideal for HT and music.

The pair I borrowed were an older set w/o bass cones making a sub mandatory. I am sure that you know they have to be plugged into an AC outlet and do require a large room to sound their best.

I read a fair bit about them (check the ML website). The vibrating film used as radiators are extremely durable and they say even with a hole in the membrane they still work.

As for the stability of the step up transformer, I don't know.

John Royster

Screenwriter
The panels are very durable if taken care of. Smoking is bad for them. The membrane should be clear and not colored. I generally vacuum mine every few months.

One good thing about logans is the support.

What model are they? Be prepared to get a heavy duty amplifier to really make them sing.

Tom@Kl

Auditioning
They "were" ML Aerius (sp?) but I think they may have been sold. I was going to put a Rotel 991 (2x200) on them.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

I haven't owned MLs, but my Acoustat panels were still going strong 13 years after purchase before I sold them.

Regards,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If used properly, electrostatics should last as long as any dynamic speaker system. (Wonder how many original Quad ESLs are still making beautiful music?)

I discourage all my speaker systems from taking up the habit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks