Electronics question...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have a foosball table with an electric scoreboard. The scoreboard plugs into the wall with a 6V 300mA AC adapter.

My problem is the cord. The table is kind of in the middle of the room and the cord has to run across the floor. It's kind of a tripping hazard.. and.. well.. looks tacky.

I was thinking I could run the scoreboard off of battery power and not have to worry about the cord. It's an LED scoreboard that plays crowd noises and shouts "GOAL!". Pretty cheesy but fun.

4 AA batteries would get me 6V. Would this be sufficient? Or would I go with C or D batteries? where can I find a "battery pack" that I can mount under the table?

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I guess it depends on how many mA the scoreboard draws. Any power supply should be rated to provide more current than the device draws. Found this. My gut reaction based on this chart, and the fact that the power supply is rated for 300mA would be to go with "D" batteries, since bigger is better. Don't forget to get the polarity into the plug correct. My first suggestion for a parts supplier would be Radio Shack. BTW, I'm just swagging this one :b

3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

your best bet would be to get a 6 volt lantern battery and hang it under the table
    battery holders can be bought at radio shack for AA, C anc D cells

or you could just get a couple of manual score keepers and do wothout the electronic scoreboard

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think I'll try the "D" cells. I can't imagine the scoreboard draws that much power. It's all LED lit. The biggest power usage is probably with the sound. Hopefully I can find one that I'll be able to mount on the underside of the table that'll hold the batteries well enough.

The table came with those as a back-up. But, the scoreboard is so cheesy, I can't part with it. Perhaps if I "fry" it, I'll resort to those.

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Does the AC apply to the input or the output? If the adapter provides AC out, then it's not very likely that batteries will work, since they provide only DC voltage.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It's DC output... I'm sure of it.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    www.batteryspace.com as well as others sell 6v battery "packs". You can also use 5 1.2v NiMH battery cells in series as a pack to get 6v. I am using 5 9500mAH D cells to power my bike lights which is 6v DC

You can buy battery holders that are prewired from Radio Shack, for example.

Jay