Electronically Stereo Enhanced LPs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

What are your thoughts about those stereo enhanced LPs back then. I really don't like them. For one thing, it's trebley in one channel and too bassey in the other channel. This often makes listening with headphones a real ear ache. IMO, mono recordings should stay mono and not enhanced by boosting certian frequencies in each channel. I understand, back then, there was a great demand for stereo and people wanted to hear there original oldies in stereo. What a lot good that does. Making it bassey in one channel and trebley in the other channel was a very poor way. Also, another way is to make one channel be delayed from the other channel. This is mostly done with orchestra LPs and such. Oh well. I do love the LP format. I ain't dissing it. I just thought it was a bad idea trying to make a mono recording into stereo. So, if you like, give me your thoughts on these stereo enhanced LPs. I personally don't like them.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. Ken Garrison

I have this one LP with this one song that has the origional recording in the left channel and then backup voices in the right. Man, that sucks.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have the original mono LP of The Doors debut album. A great thing about the mono version is that I can clearly hear some of Jim Morrison's vocals on "The End" that are completely obliterated on all stereo releases. I wish Elektra (Warner) would release the mono version on CD.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I would agree that fooling with a recoding to MAKE it "stereo" is not a good idea. Imaging is not the number one requirement for good music. Listen to any good recording lying on your bed with your head facing the ceiling. You can't localize stuff really, but it sounds good.

6. Ken Garrison

I like to listen to some of my LPs with my headphones. But with mono recordings that been ruined with that enhancement, it hurts my ears. Sounds like a subwoofer booming in my right ear and a satellite speaker in the left. OUCH!!!!

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Way back when, I remember when albums were offered in both mono and stereo versions. I would see from time to time that the stereo version was labeled "electronically rechanneled" and I would choose the mono version instead.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    How many favor the offering of both pan-and-scan and original aspect ratio editions of movies on DVD?

8. Ken Garrison

Also there were LPs that were originally recorded in stereo, but they also offered a Mono version. That's kinda like choosing between Widescreen or Pan and Scan. I'd pick the stereo version. But it the stereo version was one of them electronically reprocessed fake stereo kinds, I'd go with the mono. I got some Buck Owens LPs that are Mono, but also available in stereo. We have some of them songs that are on those LPs on CDs now and the CDs are in stereo. The only Mono song I know of from Buck Owens is "Under Your Spell Again". There's probably more than that. I noticed some of the CCR songs sound Mono, but they are actually in stereo if you listen closely.

Proud Mary
    Bad Moon Rising
    Lodi
    Sweet Hitch-Hiker

Probably takes headphones to notice. Another way to tell is play it through a Pro Logic surround system and see if hear any sound from the rear speakers.