Electronic Guru's Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Flanagan, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Mike Flanagan

I bought an old DPL receiver to use with my main receiver for Dolby Digital Es and DTS EX.

The problem I'm having with the old receiver is that no sound comes out of the 'Mains' even when I do 'test tones'. All the other speaker terminals work except for main L and R. When I hit the button for different sources I hear a 'click'. And when i turn up the Volume all the way I hear hiss. I also tried using other inputs as well.

What else can I check. I opened up the case and the fuses all look ok. I have a volt meter but wouldn't know what to check.

Please help!
    Thx
    M F.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Does the unit have an A/B speaker selector? This often disables one of the L/R terminals in favor of another.

Does the L/R sound work with headphones?

If the answer is no, it looks like you may have bought damaged goods.

3. Mike Flanagan

No, there is no A,B selector on this receiver. Also I tried the headphones and got nothing.[​IMG]
    It's weird because it worked yesterday! I tried playing a movie today with EX and got no back speaker sound. So I pulled the thing out and tested every speaker terminal and they all work except for Main R&L. Darnint! Those are the only two I need. I dont need center or rears.
    I'm wondering if it would be worth it to have someone look at it?
    Flan

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well if it worked yesterday, and not today it seems like some button or configuration item turned off the L/R speakers. Unless you got un-lucky and blew both the channels in 1 night. Strange, but it could happen.

Strip it down to headphones only and hook up say a small CD player to an input and play with all the settings/switches. Do you even get AM radio static in the headphones?

Some receivers have a "Phantom" center channel mode that uses the L/R speakers to simulate a missing center. Could your receiver have some "Mono" mode that strips the L/R sounds and sends everything to the center?

5. Mike Flanagan

I think it got roasted somehow...oh well it was on old piece of junk. I went out and just bought a 100w per channel 'Stereo' receiver just for the 2 rear surrounds. Pretty simple setup for just pushing a simple signal to the rears.
    But O'man am i sold on ES and EX. It really does make a big difference. I didn't realize what a sonic 'hole' there was behind you until it's filled. Lets just hope they keep pumping out More EX and ES soundtracks [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help!!
    Flan