Electrolyte pills

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Any other endurance athletes out there try these?

One of the mandatory ind. items for my Adv. Race that I just did was electrolyte pills. Have anybody tried these and how do they compare to say Cytomax, Accelerade, etc..

Are they supposed to be more concentrated or easier/faster to digest than say a liquid form or is the benefit that they are obviously less weight and space than carrying a liquid.

I borrowed 6 of them from my teammate but never used them during my race. Had and ate the following:

1 16 water bottle
    2 70oz platypus bladders filled with Cytomax (Apple) mix (refilled halfway through the race)
    3 Gu chocolates
    1 Hammer Gel Banana
    2 packs of Sharkles natural energy and electrolyte packs
    2 Nature Valley Granola bars
    1 PBJ sandwich
    1 roll of Fig Newtons I didn't eat.

Jay

2. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Can't say that I have, but I have heard of people using them. I think the main deal with those is to replenish the electrolytes you lose through sweating that you don't get in water. I know in doing my long distance skates, there's only so much cytomax that I can drink down. Eventually the sticky sweetness will be too much. So what I try and do is keep cytomax in my camelback bladder and keep a water bottle on me. In any case, all the sports drinks will have lots of that stuff in them (possibly salt being the exception), so for the most part you should be covered.

Vanilla Bean gu rocks, better than the chocolate!

Andrej

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Andrej, I've only had the Chocolate kind.. it's like eating frosting.

Re: the salt thing, one of the tips I saw for Adv. Racing is to eat something real salty before the race as it helps with water retention. Drink a lot of water starting the day before and with salt it supposedly helps in hydration.

I am looking at the Cytomax gels, might buy a case full of them cause I still have a 20% coupon for Performance and it's cheaper than the $1.25 ind. shots you can find locally. Might try to bring a bunch for my France trip.

Jay

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    According to some EMTs I know who frequently treat dehydration, the pills are much more effective v. the liquids (gatorade, etc.). This is what they use when they're trying to rehydrate a patient...

5. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Salty foods before exercising hard - yep, been there done that. It does help some, but if you're out on a really hot day, the heat can still overwhelm your body. Best case I can relate is when I did a really long training skate (80 miles) last year. 80 miles, part of it is reasonably flat, toward the end of the bike trail there's a sustained climb. Anyway, the night before I ate ramen noodles. Packet and all, and if you look at the sodium content on those, it's out the roof. Perfect! Towards the end of that day I was cramping up some though, it was a brutally hot day and skating 80 miles takes a damn long time. But beween the cyto I started with, the gatorade / water I picked up along the way, no dehydration problems.

Andrej

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey, thanks Greg, good to know that they're actually effective and not just a gimmick. Since I kept spare Cytomax in a ziplock, I never had to work on the pills. By the end of the race, I was a little dehydrated as I wanted to do the bike section as light as possible, which was the last event in this race.

Speaking of salt, if you like some of the Chinese dried fruit, I believe there are dried plums that have 1100mgs of sodium in ONE piece of fruit, and the fruit are so small, it's like a salt tablet... I don't like them but my sisters do on rare occasions...

Jay