What's new

Electrohome "Marquee" 8501LC (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
SOLD.

SOLD.

Electrohome “Marquee” model 8501LC for sale. Features 8” liquid-coupled CRTs for optimal picture quality. Supports all video modes including 1080p with its 100 MHz bandwidth. Unit is really easy to set up with guided-mode. Unit has been modified to support native mode 16:9 displays (e.g. anamorphic DVDs) and has the low-fan-noise modifications installed by Tim Martin. Unit has approximately 6900 hours on the tubes. Enjoy as-is for a year or two but will require new CRTs sometime in the future (suggest Tim Martin as a tech).

See www.hometheater1.com for lots of information on the Electrohome “Marquee” product line.

Supplied with the unit is a Chief ceiling mount, wireless remote, and both the “users manual” and the more extensive “service manual”.

Local sale much preferred. I would rather you come see it demonstrated, be satisfied, and then haul it away. (Shipping would be expensive - it weighs 175 lbs., too much for UPS.)

Price including the above items $1,150.

If you purchase the projector, I will also sell my Vutec 100” diagonal 4:3 aspect ratio screen. This screen has a 2” aluminum box frame upon which the screen itself is stretched over and attached by Velcro. Price $150.

Please call (408) 448-6093 or [email protected] .

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I should mention that you may retube this projector with the 9" CRTs should you wish....then this will become the famous 9501LC Marquee, known as the HT "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow". It doesn't get any better than this.

Dennis -

I am interested and am local in the bay area. What are the dimensions of this projector and what kind of throw distance will it need for that 100" screen?

I live in an apt and size is an issue. Also, how loud is it? Something that won't bother me if I sit right under it?

Also, are these CRT projectors low maintenance? This is my first forray into FP and don't want to get stuck over my head. The 1080p compatibility excites me however :)

Thanks.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
As mentioned above it's 175 lbs. Dimensions are approximately 27" wide, 34" long, and 16" tall.

Right now it's at about 144 inches throw. This is the (incorrect) distance that the original owner, Boston University, set it at. Once set up like this, tube wear necessitates keeping that throw distance. With rebuilt tubes the throw distance goes down to something like 120 inches.

If you live in an apartment this may not be the projector for you. It has to be "set up" each time it's moved. It is most practical if bolted securely to the ceiling with the included mount. I'm guessing your landlord may take a dim view of this.

In general and in this specific case CRT projectors have much less fan noise than the digital projectors that have a "hot light bulb" in them.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I've finally been able to pull off the lenses and take some crude photos of the CRT faces. I spent some time over at AVS getting some instruction in lens removal on one of these projectors. If you take out the wrong cap-headed bolts, the glycol leaks out. :eek: So I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

It took me some time to get the right tool. It turns out that you need a 9/64" hex driver on a long extension with a ratchet to remove the cap-headed screws. How convenient of Electrohome to chose such an interesting and odd-ball size of fastener......

Anybody want some photos? I don't have a hosting site so I'll have to send them as an email attachment. (Somedays I'm really feeling old and low-tech.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks