electricity to plasma over fireplace

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarcCh, Apr 22, 2005.

1. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

I appologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place. I was wondering what my options are to getting the electric to the tv which is going over the mantle. There are outlets nearby but want a clean, finished look. Please help.

Marc

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You might try some of the surface mount wiring conduits. Home improvement centers sell them (probably cheaper than the "raceways" that computers suppliers would sell). A backing tray is screwed or glued to the wall, wire is laid in, and a cover is snapped on (with corners and curved covers). They can be painted to match the wall, run along existing edges, and generally look fairly nice. They are an alternative to tearing up the wall for minor (or major) construction.

You probably want two, one for AC wiring and one for A/V cabling since the "home improvement" type won't have a divider like a computer "raceway" would have.

3. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

A couple of ideas:

Install crown molding and using the "channel" behind the molding to run the wiring (not sure if A/C is allowed in all locales). Check-out this link:
    http://www.wiretracks.com/prod-cm.html

"Build-up" (i.e. a new false front) the fireplace wall over the mantle with studs and drywall and run all wiring prior to finishing the "build-up".

Here's a link for "raceways" that Steve was referring to (link is for baseboard style):
    http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...izer/index.asp

Good luck.