What's new

Electrician Question (1 Viewer)

clarocque

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello All,

I am new here and guess this may have been answered (but I am still looking for the answer).

I am in the process of setting up a small HT and I need to run wires from the LCD outlet (high up on wall) and the sub power (lower on wall) to the APC/SP. I have the wall open and can run whatever I need to.

I was wondering if SO Chord (Rubber Chord) is legal to use "in-wall" or not. This would make a nice termination for the plug end.

Does anyone know?

Chris

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
You should always check your local building codes. With that said, I would guess that "NO" is your answer. With a little research, it is very easy to add an additional outlet lower on the wall especially if the wall is open. Do a search and you can find better description and probably pictures, but here is a general procedure.

Go to the store and buy a new 2x4 box, outlet, outlet cover and some 10 ga. 2 plus 1 wire ( black, white plus ground.
  • What ever you do make sure the breaker is off and then plug a light into the outlet to confirm that you turned off the right one.
  • Mount the new box where you want it.
  • Take the cover off the old one and unscrew the outlet to pull it out of the box. most outlets have two sets of screws, so just connect the white wire to the screw on the same side with the current white wire.
  • Do the same with the black also.
  • The ground wires can be twisted together and share the same screw.
  • Then reassemble.
  • On the lower box connect the white wire to the whiter colored screw.
  • The black wire goes to the brass colored screw and the ground wire gos to the ground screw.
  • Put the assembly together and install the cover
  • Turn the breaker back on.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In general, SJ, SJO, SO, SJOOM, SJWO, and all those nice rubber-coated cables are not suitable for in-wall/ceiling use.

I understand your reason for wanting to use SJ or something like that, but while it seems strange, once you put something in EMT metal conduit, you can run practically anything, probably even primer-cord(!), through the walls.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAR
Recent bookmarks