What's new

Electrical wiring for theater - # of circuits (1 Viewer)

MarkB

Grip
Hello,

I'm in the process of building my theater in my basement. I am running new electrical circuits for pretty much everything in the basement.

1) Is it better to have all the HT equipment (components, projector, sub, etc..) on one circuit or multiple circuits? What are the benefits of doing it one way versus the other?

2) Any advantages/disadvantages of using GFCI to protect all the outlets/circuits in the basement (besides the added safety)?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark,

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, it’s best to put the system electronics on dedicated circuits. If you have a system with modest amplification – say, receiver and sub – you’ll be fine with a single circuit. If you use outboard amplifiers, you should consider adding a second circuit. If you use more than one circuit, they should be on the same phase (i.e., service leg). “Dedicated” merely means the circuit(s) is servicing the electronics only, not “single outlet.” You can put as many outlets as is needed, and locate them where they are needed – behind the equipment rack (you might want a quadplex box there), at the projector, and at the sub’s location. Consider upgrading to commercial grade outlets instead of the cheap builder’s grade stuff.

Put all lighting and auxiliary outlets on a different circuits. Those should be on the opposite phase from the equipment circuits – especially if you plan to use dimmers for the lights.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarkB

Grip
Thanks Wayne, That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Anyone on GFCI?

Mark

PS: Your system looks absolutely amazing!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Mark, I put all my equipment, PJ, and subs on a dedicated 20amp circuit and all the lights and other associated outlet on a separate 15amp circuit. I'm no where near drawing 20amps. Some may say have a separate circuit for your projector, if you have or will get one, but I don't notice any performance issues with how I set mine up. You can't go wrong with more circuits...but as Wayne shared, the most important thing is NOT to have lights or other things drawing from your equipment circuits.

E

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anyone on GFCI?
Sorry – got the keyboard blazing away and forgot about that one!

Anyway, those are only used in locations where it’s possible that you could personally become an earth ground – like outdoors, or in a bathroom where the floor might be wet. Unless you have flooding problems in your area, it won’t be necessary.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarkB

Grip
Wayne/Erik,

Thanks again! That exactly what I was hoping for as now I'll' basically be able to add on to the existing service instead of adding a sub box for the number of ciruits were originally planned.

Thanks!!

Mark

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
Even though its been said a couple of times, I also want to emphasize seperating lights and outlets. If you can, definitely put them on a seperate phase. I just bought an old house and the wiring is a mess. I've already replaced the panel, now I'm rewiring little by little. Its a slow job, but well worth it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I ran 2 dedicated lines to my HT. Both lines are 12/2 Romex with 20 amp breakers and 20 amp outlets. One line is for all the lighting, AC and misc. The other is for all my gear (receiver, dvd player, Front PJ, 5 amps and surge protector).

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks