Electrical Surge question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tony Mc, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

Before I plunk down my hard earned cash on a $2-4k TV, I have a question about the electrical surge in my home. When my central A/C unit cycles on
    every 10-15 minutes or so, my house lights dim for a second or so then brighten back up. The surge doesn't seem to effect my 32" CRT TV, but I was wondering from the experienced folks here if I should be concerned about how these repeated electrical surges can have on a large rptv? I'm not sure if an UPS can help at all, because the surge only lasts for a second or less. I currently use an $80 Monster brand surge protector that my CRT TV is using. It is currently listed for $79 at CC. It is the "Monster Cable Clean Power™ 8-Outlet Surge Protector for PCs and Peripherals", model #MOC MPPC800HP. The listed joules is 1665. I hope this model surge protector is good enough. I will most likely buy an UPS the same time that I purchase the new TV. Any advise will be helpful. Thanks.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

You're present surge protector should suffice but it sounds like your house wiring could use some professional attention. The AC system should be on a separate circuit and not cause the lights to dim when it turns on. (At least mine doesn't) Your best solution would be to have a separate line run for you HT gear straight to the panel...best of all worlds but maybe not practicle...made me feel better doing it that way.

For incoming spikes/surges, a panel guard (Intermatic or the like) is pretty cheap insurance and will protect everything in the house. I had one installed and IIRC, the entire price to purchase the unit and have it installed was under $200....YMMV

Mort

3. Tony Mc

Thanks for the advise. I plan on having my electric system checked and/or upgraded.

4. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

You should also use a voltage regulator. They vary widely in price, but some good ones are always on EBAY. Tripplite is a good brand, and there are many others, some very inexpensive but not marketed to audio/videophiles. Do a Froogle search also.

5. Abe Rodrigue

Abe Rodrigue Stunt Coordinator

I am electrician by trade, and you don't have a surge of electricity, you have a lack of it. The lights are dimming because of the start up current needed by the AC compressor. That is where I would start, sounds like the compressor is drawing way to much current. Mort is right on, if that AC unit is sharing a circuit with something else it is a no-no. It sould be on a two pole 20 amp breaker, maybe even a 30 amp if it is big enough. Good luck!

6. Tony Mc

Abe, thanks much for the info great info. An electrician will be coming to my home soon to correct this problem.