What's new

Electrical Storm Knocks Out Audio.... (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Help....

All of my components are hooked to a Monster HTS 5000 Power Center. This morning, a close lightning strike seems to have knocked all audio signals out coming from my Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver. Everything else, (all source components, and video), seem to be OK.

I am hearing a intermittent thumping noise from all my speakers that remains at a constant volume no matter what the master volume is set to. This thump is only coming from the speakers being pushed by the receiver, (the center and rear speakers). My front speakers are connected via a Carver AV-705x amp, no thumping here, but no sound either!!

I have unplugged, replugged, hit the reset button on the receiver......is my receiver toast??

I have been wanting a new receiver, but not right now...does anybody have any input or suggestions on this??

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Make sure if you need to file a claim with Monster Power,
Do not let them know if you had any back-door entries into the AVR. Not saying you did but it happens, they will then deny the damage claim.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
That would be a unprotected in,
Such as a sat dish cable went directly to the sat receiver
and did not first pass into the Monster power.
This would be a problem if that same sat receiver had video or audio being routed to the AVR.
Many times people look past these things and if you let the cat out of the bag, they will not pay.
You would need to look over all your connections.
Many times people fudge in area's they should'nt
Say your sub was to far from the monster power,
now you plug that sub into a unprotected A/C source.
You just opened your whole system to a spike via the sub cable to the AVR.
Good luck, I hope it's not bad.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Gee whiz Allan, that's terrible. I know how good your system sounds, that's a crying shame if it's sustained irreparably damage.

Hope it all works out for ya bud.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you guys out in the midwest had some nasty activity there recently with the storms and tornados.
As a start, I'd unplug the receiver for a few hours and see if it comes back.
In order for your equipment to have been protected, everything that's hooked together in one way or another needs to have been put on the surge protector. A surge doesn't necessarily have to come in via the AC lines, the cable or satellite line is certainly possible. Now if that wasn't protected then you're sh*t out of luck. While I haven't read the warranty for attached equipment regarding the Monster unit the following general rules for these b*llsh*t warranties generally apply.

Everything that's connected needs to have been protected. If they ask you to send the Monster unit in, it'll likely be at your expense. They may do that to determine if there was a defect. They can tell if the unit did its job or if you're trying to pull a fast one.

If you ran Monster for this and Panamax for that you're screwed. The warranties apply only when you're protecting everything with products from the same manufacturer.

An estimate for repair will likely be required and they'll compare that to the fair market value (boy are you in for a shock on that number) and choose the lesser of the two.

You'll probably be responsibe for delivering the unit to an authorized place of Monster's choosing. More money out your pocket.

Now if your unit is still under warranty, you might want to bring it in and see if they'll repair it at no charge. Can't hurt.

You can file a claim under your homeowner/renter's policy. You do have one and if so I take it you opted for a rider with a full replacement cost?

You can always write it off on your taxes.

OTOH, maybe the unit just died on it's own. Won't know though till you bring it in.

If you're a homeowner look into getting a whole house surge protection device installed at either the meter or the breakers. Those are much much...did I say much enough?...much much more effective at dealing with surges since the path to earth ground is short. A whole house unit protects all incoming lines: AC, cable, phones. Unless you're in the very NW corner of Ohio, you've got a fair amount of lightning that strikes the ground. Hence, I'd be looking at something like a 2000 joule whole house unit. Various electrical supply houses ought to have something.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I think I'm screwed!!

I had the cable running straight into the cable box. I can remember that the HTS 5000 seemed to degrade the picture quality of my cable signal.

Hopefully, a new receiver is all I need. I "WILL" run the cable through the HTS 5000 from now on.

Now I can get a receiver that will take advantage of my new Elite DV-47Ai DVD players SACD and DVD-A capabilities!! But my wife works at Pioneer and gets a 15 year anniversary award of $750 that is to be used toward Pioneer equipment. But I can't buy anything until the employee sale in September....what a bummer!!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Your are the luckiest man I know! Your wife works at Pioneer?!?! Sweeeeeetttttt!!!! Must be some nice fringe benefits there.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Alan:

Well the same storm went thru here on ts way to you. But, by dumb luck..........I had no lightning strike and I do have all my equipment going through the Monster Power - I have, I think the 2000 model. Cable and the worksall through it.

Now what disappoints me is that I wanted that 09TX!

Sorry Alan.........I feel for you......:frowning:

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike,

Kevin said I could use his old Sony receiver until September when I get my new Elite receiver from my wife's anniversary award!!

Last night, I ran the cable input through the HTS 5000 and then into the cable box. I ran a coaxial cable directly to my Elite PRO-620HD RPTV so that we could watch TV with sound from the internal speakers of the TV.

Mike, I don't know if the 09TX is fixable. My wife is going to talk to the engineers at Pioneer about it. If I can get it fixed on the cheap, you can buy it from me on the cheap!!

I had Time Warner out here a few months ago about picture quality, and I'm pretty sure the tech told me to run the cable directly to the cable box. I wonder if I could get any money from T-W on this incident??

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Or if you get it fixed on the cheap you can mothball it for those times when you need to pull something out in a pinch. Now go out and get a whole house unit put in.

MarkEB

Auditioning
Fixable?

I thought my Carver Hr-772{140w x2}bought the farm back in 1995!!
Had just moved n.of atl.ga.just had everything hooked up while i was doing the move.
Then i got the great idea of a Roof antenna w/rotor.Never had 1 before.Man could it pick up FM!!

Then a storm came up couldn't unplug everything Out of Town!

My brother had found a good tech in chamblee who had brought back life into his 23year old sx-626.
So i took it over to him he replaced 4 ic's of varying types it still powers my Klipsh ChorusII's just like it did before.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I bought the O9TX back when it first came out and six months later something similar happened to me. It went dead after a storm came through. It continued to power up but I could not get any sound. I took it back to specialty store where I bought it and for two months they tried to fix it. They finally decided to replace it with a new one. My salesman later told my that they finally fixed it and they sold it for about 400 dollars.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Alan:

You could get one of those Pioneer D912 K's for about $300 bucks to keep you in the interim.

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I talked to Time Warner today...they are going to call me back on Monday. The lady on the phone said it sounded like an electrical issue. I told her that my lights didn't even flicker at all!! I told them what happened. Here is a blow by blow account:

At about 4:55AM Wednesday morning, while watching Channel 9's weather report, lightning and an immediate loud clash of thunder happened.

The picture on the TV froze for about 10-15 seconds. The sound also went out. The picture came back, the sound didn't!!

After further investigation, I discovered that none of my source components that run through the receiver had any audio output. I followed all the VSX-09TX trouble shooting tips to no avail!!

Now, about 3 months ago, I had T-W out to my house over picture quality issues. The tech recommended that I by-pass my Monster Power HTS 5000 and the picture did indeed get much better...( standard def. channels, which were the only problem). I have audio coming out of my cable box going to my receiver. I maintain that the cable-in was the cause of my receiver's demise!! Hopefully, T-W will make good on this....I will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the help and advice people!!

BTW: I have a $500 deductable homeowners policy.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
there are riders that can be obtained for certain things with no deductible...better than any surge 'warranty'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks