Electrical questions.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by -, Jan 20, 2013.

  1. Guest

    Hey guys, we are moving into a new house pretty soon. One issue that was brought to our attention is that the wall sockets aren't properly grounded, we will eventually get everything up to par. In the mean time, what can I do to protect our valuable electronics? Will a standard surge strip do the job or do I need to look into something else? I was at the hardware store and didn't quite know what I was looking at lol. Thank you for any advice!
  2. schan1269

    schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

    Jul 4, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Chicago-ish/NW Indiana
    Real Name:
    Surge are useless without a ground. Get one of these... http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-51120-1-Panel-Protector-240-Volt/dp/B00081K55Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358713633&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=whole+house+surge+protector (no, not this one...hire an electrician and trust what they put in)
  3. Guest

    Yea, that's what I thought. The house inspector mentioned GFCI's as a temporary thing but we are definitely going to have an electrician come in. So no fancy pants strips or anything that will do any good without the plug being grounded already?

Share This Page