What's new

Electrical question (landscape lighting issue) (1 Viewer)

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
We've had our landscape lighting for almost a year now with no real problems to speak of until here recently. We've got a 600W transformer controlling five walkway lights and eight well lights. The total wattage of all the lights doesn't even come close to the total wattage of the transformer. The system worked fine up until a couple of months ago when all of a sudden when it's time for the lights to turn on the circuit breaker trips, not the ones on the transformer but the one in the main electrical box. That's a 20 amp breaker that trips as soon as the transformer kicks on. What could be causing this all of a sudden? We do have a number of burned out well lights in the backyard that I haven't bothered to replace yet but I can't see this being the problem. The only other thing on that circuit breaker is the irrigation system which really isn't being used at this time.

I'm an electrical idiot so I don't know where to begin looking here. If it's a transformer issue then I need to find the paperwork to see if it's still covered under warranty.

Any ideas what could be causing this. Could an excess of rain or moisture cause this?

Thanks,
Wade

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to mention that if I reset the breaker the lights come on and stay on until the next night when the transformer is set to turn on again. Then it blows the circuit again.

Wade

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
my first suggestion would be to buy a new transformer easily availble at most hardware stores. swap it out for a couple days if it happens again then take it back. If it doesn't trip then that was the problem.

next step would be systematically testing all wiring for shorts. continutiy tests and voltage tests. Its not hard but is time consuming. You could also remove the lights from the transformer and with no load turn it on. see if that trips before buying one hehe.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Be careful about resetting the breaker so many times. There is a condition called arc flash that can occur and burn you severly.Really you should dis connect or turn off everything on the load side before resetting the breaker. The problem could be the breaker itself in that the in rush current is tripping it.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

My old neighbor was burned in this way. Spent three months in the burn center in excruciating pain.

Call a professional to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks