Electrical power requirements

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Jacob, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

I'm in the process of redoing my audio systems. In doing so, I'm going from one "combined music/theater" system, to two discrete systems. In doing so, I'm adding a lot of components. New for the theater will be seven monoblock amps for the 7 channels. Plus I will have a Crown pro stereo amp for a pair of subs, and then all the source components. DBS receivers and video, tape decks, laserdisc, dvd,VCR and pre/pro etc. Right now I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits. Is this going to be enough. All the source equipment won't be running at the same time, but the DBS receivers might be on, even thought not listening to them. Plus I have a front projector that I think is on one of the circuits. I have another two dedicated circuits across the room for the "music"system amps. Those circuits are probably under utilized, but not available for the other equipment.
    That's system one. In system two, I'm working with the original house electrical system. I'm on one 15 amp shared circuit. Here I have a Denon 5800 receiver that is going to be used as a pre/pro only with nine monoblock amps for the 5 channel theater and the other four for zone 2 and 3, plus source equipment and DBSs, rear projection TV, VCR etc. This circuit really concerns me.
    What should I do???
    ------------------

2. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

With all due respect, you should check out the NEC code for wire size. It does not allow for 30 amp loads on 12 AWG conductors. Here is a link that you could use that lists the amp capacities per Table 310-16. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...h/wiresize.htm
    The best way to know your needs is total up the max total wattage of each device in your system, devide by 120 and that will equal the amps drawn at max. From there you can figure how many dedicated circuits you'll need.

3. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I would change that 15amp circuit to one dedicated 20amp circuit. You don't need 30 amps!!! That is overkill!
    Ace

4. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

Is there a formula for calculating the amperage use, i.e. say I've got 2,000 watts divided by 120 equals 16.667 amps. Then a percentage of that for actual draw factor. My thoughts are coming from looking at my panel, which is 200 amp panel. But when you add up all the circuit breakers, it exceeds 200 amps. I've been told that there is a percentage factor for computing the safe load. Does this make any sense? Obviously, I'm not going to turn on all of my source equipment to listen to a cd, so not every component will be in use and drawing current. Thank you for your help guys. Dennis
    ------------------