What's new

Electrical/Power question... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - if I wire a pair of four ohm devices up as an eight ohm load, and they're rated for 25 watts, do I have to put 50 watts through the wire at 8 to get the same effect as 25 at 4? Or something like that?

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
No. The wattage rating of the driver doesn't tell you anything about the output of the driver; just the maximum wattage that can be applied to it continuously before doing damage.
Using two drivers together will give you more total output. Your power response will be increased by 6 dB with the same amount of power supplied to the drivers. Because they are wired in series, the maximum wattage that should be supplied to the drivers is still 25 watts, since they will both see all of the current.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - that means that I can probably still toasty these things - the Marantz is rated for 30, and the bass shaker devices are 25, and supposedly they mean it.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Not likely. They usually go pretty conservative with power ratings. You'd have to be really cranking them to do damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks