Electrical Interference

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottDunk, Nov 27, 2003.

1. ScottDunk

ScottDunk Auditioning

I am in the process of finishing my basement and I want to put a home theater with a front projector in the family room. I am planning out where to run a 2" PVC conduit with the video cables in it to the projector. One area that I am considering is parallel to a HVAC vent that will be framed in. There will be about a ten inch drop by 15 inches wide.

Also in this drop area runs the main power line to the house. Will the Air Conditioning Power cause any interference to the video cables?

Alternatively, I can run the conduit through the I-Joists. How big of a hole can I run through the I-Joists. Would a 2-21/2" hole violate building codes?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. ScottDunk

ScottDunk Auditioning

Bump

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

This is a tough one, Scott. I've had no problems running audio/video cables in close proximity to 110vac lighting/room outlet circuits. But whole-house power is a lot of current. My guess is that it would still be OK. You've got both "legs" of the house mains together and the fields tend to cancel. Further, shielded AV cables are pretty good at keeping out electrical noise. Finally, most AV equipment has pretty good 60Hz rejection on the signal inputs. If there's any way to run EMT or rigid metal conduit, that amount of extra shielding would erase any concerns.

As far as hole size in joists, I don't know the regs. I put a 2.5" hole in several of mine (for exactly the same reason), but it's a flat roof and not much load.

Dave

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Scott-- My code generally restricts the cutting/boring of engineered joists.