Electrical interferance

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Raymond M, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Raymond M

Raymond M Auditioning

Can a lot of electrical equipment in a room interfere with the quality of my picture on my television.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    "Electrical equipment" - that runs the gammut from engine lathes to commercial broadcasting transmitters to VCRs to hair dryers.

The short answer (i.e., as succinct as the question) is "yes" and "not necessarily." It's impossible to give any further information unless you're willing to tell us what kind of equipment, how much of it, and what it's used for.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dont forget that your AC power is a shared resource.

Ever fill up at a Petrol station and see your hose jerk/move when someone else is clicking their nozzle in their tank? Thats because you are all drawing on a shared-supply.

Your AC power jerks/moves when some other device suddenly switches on/off or starts to use much more power.

Even without electrical interference, you can have problems with too much equipment going off in a room.

4. Raymond M

Raymond M Auditioning

Thankyou for your replies,in the one power point i have 2 computers,1 computer monitor,1 modem, 1 computer hub, 1 printer, 1 cordless phone, 1 set computer speakers, 1 scanner, 2 lamps, 1 dvd home entertainment system (toshiba SD42HK),
    1 Toshiba 32" television (32ZD16G), 1 vcr, 2 xboxes, 1 pay tv set top box, 1 fan.

All these appliances are plugged into the one power point through a few power boards and a couple of double adapters
    maybe this extra info can help you give me a better picture as if i have way to much electrical equipment running and therfore interfering with the quality of my picture on my television.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    When you say "power point" do you mean an electrical outlet? If so that's a lot of stuff to be plugged into one outlet.

Still, I don't see anything that jumps out at me as a potential problem except the fan - sometimes devices with motors can cause interference. Computers can cause interference in an audio system, but I've never heard of one causing problems to the video. If so, it would be screwing up its own monitor, right? If the fan is the problem, it would be obvious - the problem would go away if it was turned off.

Exactly what kind of "interference" are you getting? Different kinds of interference can be traced to different problems. For instance, if the picture is "snowy," it's indicative of poor reception, reduced signal due to too many splits, or perhaps poor cabling. Slowly scrolling horizontal lines indicate a ground loop. Jagged horizontial lines, or "static," is usually caused by electrical interference - like a hairdryer or electric drill.

Often video problems are caused by problems with bad RF cabling (RG-6, RG-59). If you're using any of those cheap cables with the push-on "F" connectors in your TV feed from the wall, or between the VCR, ditch them and get cables with screw-on "F" connectors, and make sure they are screwed down tightly.

Bob's really good at this kind of stuff - perhaps he will have some other ideas.

Good Luck,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Raymond M

Raymond M Auditioning

THanks for your reply Wayne.
    Yes by powerpoint i mean electrical outlet.
    Its not really interference i get when watching a television broadcast its more the interference i get when watching a dvd.

My dvd is connected to my television with a component cable, its only a cheaper one but i have been told its a decent one.
    The interference i am getting is hard to explain, the picture gets brighter in parts and the brighter part moves up and down its just not a good quality picture for the tv and dvd player i have.

I am not sure wether i should go out and spend some money on good quality component cables as i have been told that it wont make much difference but all the things that i have been reading on this forum suggest that the more money you spend the better the quality cable you get, can you tell me if this is true and if so suggest a couple of good brands.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    "Component cable" - Do you mean "composite cable?" Component connections are a trio of cables pluged into the red, green and blue jacks; composite is a single cable, plugged into the yellow jack.

Still, the problem you've described sounds like the macrovision protection system at work. Make sure the DVD player's video feed is going directly to the TV and not through another component like a VCR.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. John S

John S Producer

The posts are right.. Electrical Interference and/or EMI usually will put some sort of distortion / line that will sweep the entire screen then repeat.

If I had that, the first place I would look would be into better Component Video Cables.

And just to make sure again here.. A composite video cable is a single RCA type plug, comonent is three RCA type plugs, and truly coaxial cable in nature.

9. Raymond M

Raymond M Auditioning

Yeah i have component cables i think i may invest in a good set of cables can anyone tell me a good brand?

10. John S

John S Producer

I use fairly cheap ones.. GE, I will let others suggest higher end cables, as I just don't have a lot of experience with it.

11. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

You need at least ONE power line conditioner coming off that point-they actually make the sound system sound BETTER-and they protect your equipment.

A major culprit of emi is electrical radiant heat-what I had in my old place and caused horrible shimmering on my computer-even with a PLC.

rogo