1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

electrical contact corrosive cleaner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey Ber, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys,
    I have to clean my electrical contacts on my old amp, any suggestions on which electrical contact corrosive cleaner to use?
    thanks,
    Mike

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I've heard Caig Pro-something mentioned a lot in this context. I think they have a whole range of products though, you you might want to search for info on them.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

4. Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber Stunt Coordinator

going to order DeoxIT right now, thanks everyone.
    Mike

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Are you talking about speaker connections or other bare-wire connections? Don't quote me, but ask electronic wizzes about Phosphoric Acid. It kinda etches the metal contact. Since the metal corroded in the first place, you'll want to drop a dab of solder on it afterwards, or you'll just invite future corrosion since you've stripped the metal bare. If you ask the experienced, they'll tell you which solder to use for best conductivity and corrosion protection. Or maybe you should use something else? Not sure, but when soldering, they always suggest to use phosphoric acid first because it removes corrosion etc.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 04, 2001 at 08:08 PM]

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Then again, if I'd understood this post more....
    Yeah, if you are talking about all the contacts in terms of volume, bass, treble and all the switch contacts, use the Radio Shack contact cleaner. I use that and its great. You don't have to pull apart your equipment, just pop off knobs if you can. WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT DISCONNECTED! Squirt that stuff in there and turn the knobs back and forth several times. Should clean it up quite well. Works good every couple years.
    Be for-warned, if there was a dab of conductive grease that was doing double duty as a conductor/corrosion protector AND making the control operate smoothly, you will forgo the smoothness as the contact cleaner will gobble up the grease and disintegrate it. If you really want, you could get some more grease and put it back in there, but I'd go without it.