What's new

Electric shaver designer question? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
here's an oddball question for AHL:

Why do engineers who design electric shaver feel they need to use tabbed NiCad batteries? Is it actuall cheaper than simply putting in little metal arms into the PCB and using basic AA 1.2v NiCADs????? I hacked my old Remington shaver to replace the NiCAD battery and see it's a standard AA sized 1.2v "72394" type NiCAD but it is tabbed.

A direct replacement costs $7.45 per battery!! I can get a basic AA NiCAD battery for like $1 per battery. I would think that Remington could get standard AA batteries cheaper than tabbed ones just like me so why do they use tabbed batteries?

At this point, I'm buying 2 single AA battery holders for 95 cents each and soldering them to it and using standard AA NiMH 1.2v batteries I already own for a savings of $13.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The way it is designed, it's basically disposable!

At least they didn't try to do silly stuff like hide screws and stuff, the 4 screws you need to take out are in plain sight and also simply phillip heads...

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Kinda OT, but I hate that the cell phone companies have to make different power adapters for all of their phones. Everytime I get a new phone, I have to buy an entire collection of adapters. :frowning:

and speaking of screws, yeah, I hate when they use an odd screw that you have to buy a specialized tool to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks