Electric roll down screens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sacha_C, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I was looking on da-lite.com, why are normal pull down screens $100-200 and electric pull downs are $900+? It can't cost $700 to ad a $0.50 motor in it.

Whats the catch? I might as well build my own electric pull down for $50.

Thanks

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Sacha,

Most electric roll-down screen are different from manual pulldown screens in that they are tab-tensioned. Tab tensioning is a system that uses tensioned cables on the sides of the screen to pull the screen flat and without wrinkles everytime. On a manual pulldown screen you will definitely have wrinkles and issues with the picture that will need to be corrected with geometry and convergence, ect. With a tab tensioned screen these are a non-issues.

Also, check the screen materials, and the type of casing that is offered with the electic roll down screens, there are often many differences between options on these.

Regards,

3. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

There are several electric roll down screens at my work and none have tensioning, and the quality of materials looks the same as my $250 manual pull-down.

4. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Are the screen materials on ebay good?

I was thinking of putting some on a frame, hinged to the ceiling at the top side, with a rope attached to the bottom of the screen with a motor to pull it up and down with sensors to check the rope tension to know when it's fully lowered and a touch sensor on the top to stop it when it's fully up.

Would this be a good setup?

5. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator