What's new

Electric Razor recommendations (1 Viewer)

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to buy and electric razor, but I have no idea what's good and what's not. I've got a fairly heavy beard so I need to cut it at least every day or every other day. Any suggetions would be appreciated. Budget runs 20 -80 bucks if I can find a good one in that price range. Thanks in advance!!
Warren

EugeneR

Second Unit
I love the Norelco Cool Skin series - the ones with the goo that comes out. I actually don't use the goo, I use regular shave gel and shave while taking a shower. I have very sensitive skin and it works very well for me.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Eugene! I didn't know you could use a gel or anything with an electric razor. The last one I remember was one you just put to your face and worked it until your beard was gone. I'll check out the Norelco as my father used one many years ago.
Warren

LewB

Screenwriter
Another happy Norelco user here. I forget which model I have, but it's one of the top of the line ones that has rechargeable batteries, I think it may cost a bit more than what you said your price range is. I'll bet that the 'business end' of the models that are in your price range are the same.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
This is a good thread for this as well.. after years, I have never managed to find an electric razer that I actually thought shaved very close. I mean, none that were in even the close range of a Mach3 or standard disposable.

Do the newer electrics perform well? I think I'll stick with the manual at home, but I travel a fair amount, and I've always thought it'd be easier to carry an electric traveling for a lot of different reasons (ever try to chase down blades for a mach3 in an airport? Talk about hiway robbery!)

So, for those using the electrics above, in overall, pretty happy?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've always used Braun electric razors and found them pretty good. I've tended to go for their mid-range models - I think they cut better than their budget ones and the top range models tend to have facilities that I just don't want. Plus, they give a very smooth-feeling shave.

If you're going to buy an electric razor for the first time, be warned that you generally have the choice between a razor that will only run from a power cord, a razor that will only run from a (rechargeable) battery or a razor that will do both. Choose the one that will do both, then all your bases are covered.

I can't speak with any authority re 'ordinary' razors because they all (even with hypoallergenic shaving cream) give me a rash. I'm such a sensitive little soul. ;) To be honest, given the choice I'd grow a beard, but my wife hates beards.

Real Name
Bill D.
I have had 2 Norelcos, both were great, but the newer one seems to cut much closer than the old. The instructions specifically say that the shave will get better after the first couple of weeks, which is definitely true.

That being said, when I want a really close shave, I go to my regular Mach3, it does still shave closer. I could probably stand to shave 2x per day with my electric.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks you guys,
How easy are the Norelco and Braun to clean?. I remember my fathers old Norelco had a button that when pushed popped all three heads up then you dump and sweep out the hairs from a compartment underneath...is this still the way?
Do gels and lotions like 'Lectric Shave work for you or do you not bother with them?.
Warren

EugeneR

Second Unit
I just pop mine open with a button and stick it under the shower to wash it off when I'm done shaving. Once a month you're supposed to put the blades in alcohol overnight. I generally don't use an after shave lotion, other than the shaving cream/gel while shaving. Even though I have very sensitive skin, using the electric while lathered up in the shower doesn't irritate it.

Actually, because of my sensitive skin, I can never shave against the grain with a blade, so with a blade my shave is not terribly close. With the Norelco, I can shave against the grain, so I get a better shave than with a blade.

LewB

Screenwriter
On the Norelco, you buy replacements. I think a set of blades is in the $20-30 range.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've used Norelco for 20+ years. I currently have a quadra and it's the best I've had. I got it from Amazon.com at a very good price. The quadra can be rinsed under water to clean which is very convenient.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Like Andrew, I've been using the mid-level Braun electric razors (5000 series) for years. They are constantly changing model numbers...but, fortunately, Braun uses the same replacement parts for those razors within the same "series". I buy a new set of blades (about $25) every six months or so. It might be more than absolutely necessary, but I always find it worth it. Cleaning is fairly easy...you pop off the top screen and just use a brush (no water). They also run off AC and rechargeable battery.

I HAVE had the batteries die on me and needed to buy a new razor. :frowning: So, I just make sure I charge it fully and then run it all the way down before re-charging.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

If you are somewhat handy and a hack, you might not need to buy a new razor. My original NiCAD batteries died on my remington razor (a fairly inexpensive 2 bladed model) and I simply opened the razor, bought 2 AA battery holders from RatShack and soldered it to the contacts and put 2 standard AA NiCADs in that has about 6 times the mAH rating as the old ones and put the cover back on.

If you can find tabbed AA NiCADs cheap, you can even use those but I figure with the battery holder, I can get NiCADs inexpensively and not have to worry about finding tabbed AAs. Most small appliance mfgrs use non-standard sized batteries or tabbed ones, so there is some effort in redesigning it to normal use. The mfgrs don't want the unit to be serviceable because they want you to get hosed again by buying a new one. :frowning:

Jay

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nice, Jay! :emoji_thumbsup:

My skills at such tasks are marginal at best...but sometimes I surprise myself. I'll give that a thought next time out. I actually gave it a thought last time...but didn't get past trying to crack open the razor. Maybe those German engineers at Braun are more clever about designing their products to prohibit meddling. ;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Point of detail - some Brauns can be washed, some can only be brushed. To be honest, I don't think there's all that much difference. Foil and blades should be replaced every 6-18 months (depending on the toughness of your stubble and hairiness :)).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Ehh, almost anything can be hacked into, I've taken apart a bunch of my small electronic items, my razor, my Garmin GPS, my bikelight battery, etc. One benefit of the cheapness these days is the use of flimsy plastic!

Jay

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Hmmm. What kind of device can be built from the parts of a GPS, razor and bicycle light?!

An illuminated razor that lets you know where you are while you're shaving in the dark? :D

Back On Topic, though, I wish I had known I could have made a better effort to replace the battery myself. I DID call around to different shops and they all said there isn't anyone around my area who does that kind of work. There USED to be a razor sales/servicve store...but that's long gone

I really like the Brauns, though, outside of that.

LewB

Screenwriter
I think I'm starting to understand why your electric bill is too low. Come clean now and hopefully we can keep this off your permanent record :laugh::laugh:
Sorry for crossing the thread streams.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
:laugh: I didn't combine the small electronic things although the finding out where I am when shaving in the dark would be a cool feature. I hate when I get transported to Kalamazoo, MI everytime I shave...

My click stick on my Garmin GPS died one day... My bike light battery fared the same as my shaver battery, it stopped holding a charge like most rechargeable batteries will fare sooner or later. Our society is so damn disposable, buy something..use it, throw it out. I'd rather try to reuse thing and dissecting these things is a cheaper than buying a new one. Frankly, battery repair is really simple, just need to find the voltage that your appliance uses and a little soldering... Fortunately, my Remington's innards is JUST large enough for me to fit the AA sockets and be able to screw in the backplate so my charger looks completely stock and I even can still use the walwort charger that came with it although the blinking light is no longer terribly useful for a charge meter.

I have used Brauns and Remingtons but frankly, I'm not terribly picky in terms of an electric razor and by 5pm, I still have that shadow going on, regardless of the shaver!

LewB, I haven't tried to take apart my electric meter (yet) although the gas company installed a wireless electronic sender unit since my gas meter is in my basement... I've been interested in that little thing.... :crazy:

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks