ELECTRIC Ranges Question - I got electricuted??

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 30, 2002
Messages
1,021
ok in my apt. there is floor board heaters. I had one hand on the heater, and one hand on my electric guitar. no wetness or anything. I got shocked in both hands.

is this normal. I obviously wont do it again, but is it safe?
 

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Messages
3,729
Real Name
AE5VI
NO!

If you are "shocked in both hands", that means that electric current is travelling across your chest, and it's a wonder you didn't have a heart attack. As for the cause, either your guitar/amp or your heater, or both, has a bad ground and is unsafe, both in terms of electrocution and in terms of fire.
 

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 30, 2002
Messages
1,021
yeah my left hand was on the radiator. my right hand was on the strings. I definetly felt it in both hands. The scary part was i did think i felt funny in the chest. ALso there was my two year old strumming with me touching it. she was fine. looked more scared that I jumped.

um also I know its never good to touch open speaker wire to a metal radiator, but i did ON ACCIDENT and the wire touched and killed my 300 pioneer receiver.... luckily not my tv or anything else. there was a big flash and a bang. very scary.

any relation? thanks guys! Im just unsure if I should go to my landlord or not. Ive got 3 kids and lots of floor board electric radiators everywhere!!!
 

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 22, 1999
Messages
5,654
Location
Pittsfield, MA
Real Name
Jay
By any chance, you using one of those 3-prong to 2-prong converter somewhere on your guitar amp or anything?

I would think that if your electric heater had a ground problem, you would blow a fuse but electric going through your amp with a bad ground may find an easier path to ground through you to your electric heater so you might want to look at your guitar amp and connections from that end carefully.

Jay
 

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 23, 1999
Messages
6,874
Dude that used to happen all the time to us old rock and rollers (young then) back in the days of ungrounded tube amps. Usually you wouldn't get a shock till you went to start singing then you got a buzz right on the lips. No fun!

Are you using a vintage amp without a ground? Old wiring in the apartment?
 

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 31, 1997
Messages
2,438
Location
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Real Name
François Caron
Are the wall sockets even grounded properly? Go to the hardware store and get a socket tester. It's a simple device that plusg into the wall and tells you if your wiring is okay or how badly it's miswired. If the grounds are not connected to a proper grounding rod, the grounds in the house have no place to go except through you!

It always surprises me how often house wiring is improperly done even when the work was done by a supposed professional.
 

JoeyR

Second Unit
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
422
Real Name
Joey
First you got shocked, electrocuted would have been you dying from being shocked

First things first, get the ground checker for your receptacle, IF THEY are grounded you can take a multimeter set it to a volt scale higher than 200VAC, stick one lug in the ground of the receptacle and touch the case of the radiator with the other, if there is voltage you have problems......

I'm not sure what you are talking about with a radiator, even being a commercial HVAC tech********************************************** *******************************NOW HERES THE WARNING******************************************* ************************************

get a tech out there if the radiator is shorted to ground and you have a 2 year child it could kill them, your lucky if that is it it didnt kill you, please keep your children away from the radiators until they are properly checked by an appropriate tech...

*****************************WARNING TWO***********************

You are lucky again that your child didnt get hit, if you wouldnt have been touching the guitar, your child will get shocked, anytime you have a ground or electrical problem like that and you are touching another person and THEY close the circuit, they get hurt not you, you just act like a piece of wire, so be careful
 

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 24, 1999
Messages
2,312
It seems to me that the floor board heater, and later a metal radiator, are the source of the voltage, based on your description. It sounds like you have a floating potential on your entire heating system (as opposed to being shorted to ground, which would be a good thing, actually- ground shouldn't be carrying anything).

You could easily check this- Measure AC voltage with a multimeter from the heater to ground, then from heater to neutral (the white wire, or fat side of the two-pronged plug. If you get anything appreciable in any case (more than a couple of volts), trouble. If you're getting and feeling a shock, chances are there's at least 50V floating around there somewhere.

Todd
 

JoeyR

Second Unit
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
422
Real Name
Joey

Actually Todd if you have a faulty ground on that heater and something has shorted internally you will show voltage from the heater(assuming its metal cabinet)to ground, trust me I have seen it quite a few times in the HVAC business where units are improperly grounded, something shorts out, and shows voltage from the cabinet to ground
 

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 24, 1999
Messages
2,312
Short to ground, and loss of ground combined with internal shorting are two entirely different things. That was my only point.
 

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 30, 2002
Messages
1,021
im getting a tester this afternoon. if anything is wrong with it, im gonna throw a fit! its a VERY old apt. actuall ythe house is an old mercantile from the 1880's

ill let you guys know my findings!
thanks for all your electrical help!
 

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Joined
Dec 1, 1999
Messages
20,621
Location
Gulf Coast
Real Name
Tony D.
you should just get an electrical tech out to do the testing right.

give the bill to the landlord and tell him what you said here.
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
344,920
Messages
4,724,766
Members
141,359
Latest member
truvalastavi